Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly a question for you who feed kibble. I wonder if you do something like stuff a kong with part of the dogs daily food (not treats but the usual food), use it as training treats, make the dog search for it etc? I've a boxer that is a pretty picky eater and it's hard to make him eat if I just put it in the bowl. I usually stuff his kong with his food or make "food searching" with it. It's much easier to feed him and he gets some mental stimulation at the same time. But I was wondering if it's anyone else who does something similar?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Gem usually gets training with one meal, everyone else and all her other meals are just fed in a dish..I have too many dogs to get creative about it..plus I feed part Raw lol.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When the dogs got kibble either about half of each meal was given as training treats then the bowl put down or all of it was put into a food puzzle like a Buster Cube or simply a dry empty milk jug.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I vary how my dog gets his meals. Some meals he gets in his bowl, most meals he gets in a food-dispensing toy, and some meals I toss out in a corner of the yard so he can sniff it out. I like to change it up for him and I really like the last option as it makes him sniff out his food and tires him mentally.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
This is mostly a question for you who feed kibble. I wonder if you do something like stuff a kong with part of the dogs daily food (not treats but the usual food), use it as training treats, make the dog search for it etc? I've a boxer that is a pretty picky eater and it's hard to make him eat if I just put it in the bowl. I usually stuff his kong with his food or make "food searching" with it. It's much easier to feed him and he gets some mental stimulation at the same time. But I was wondering if it's anyone else who does something similar?
I have the exact opposite problem, but the same solution. I can't feed my dog from a bowl because she wolfs her food too fast. She has several food toys, and sometimes we do tricks or nosework with kibble. She's happy to work for anything.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Due to time constraints and noise level, Katie gets her morning meal in her dish. Part of her evening meal is used for training (we're working on LLW right now) and then I vary how she gets the rest: bob-a-lot, puzzle toy, more training, scattered on the floor, or just in her dish. Last night she got rice, ground beef, and kibble stuffed in a kong. She loved it.

I vary how my dog gets his meals. Some meals he gets in his bowl, most meals he gets in a food-dispensing toy, and some meals I toss out in a corner of the yard so he can sniff it out. I like to change it up for him and I really like the last option as it makes him sniff out his food and tires him mentally.
I really like this idea in theory, but worry about the reality. Does it encourage your dog to eat other stuff they find on the ground? This is a huge problem for Katie - she's just starting to learn "leave it" and "drop it" so I need to be super vigilant to keep nasty stuff out of her mouth.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I figure if something is super attractive to a dog it is a good idea to figure out a way to make it 'legal'. Dog likes to dig, make a pit where it is okay to dig. Dog likes to bark, have a barkfest on cue when it isn't likely to be annoying to those within earshot. Dog likes to scavenge, make up a scavenging game. Maybe sit/stay and put a couple pieces on the floor. My cue to get the food was 'wash it'. Not saying Sassy was good at dropping or leaving it, just that she adored scavenging and scattering food was a super fun way for her to eat dinner.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I dont have time for this on weekday mornings, because i'm scrambling for work. On weekends though or days i'm not at work for whatever reason I will take about a handful of his kibble in the morning and practice some training, a handful I will hide in random places, and the rest will be in his dish (I only do this for my younger dog, the Shiba has no patience for this sort of thing and barely eats kibble anyway). I don't do it all the time, but when I have the time I will for sure and think its a great idea to make them work a little for their meals or atleast make it interesting. Can't do it in the evenings as I feed raw meat to them at night. It's definitely helpful for training though, I dont do it as much now as I did when Thumper was 3-5 months old but for practicing I still use these techniques.

·
Registered
291 Posts
we mostly do mealtimes in the kong wobbler now, sometimes just in his bowl with some toys on top (he doesn't try and take them out, yet). Sometimes ill sit outside and toss kibble in the grass for him to smell out, but he's not so great at that.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Before I fed raw, I would feed Denali her morning meal by hand, afternoon snack in her Kong (standard snowman shape), and her evening meal by hand. That was when she was a puppy. I gradually fed more and more from a bowl instead of by hand, but always fed some by hand to encourage good eating manners and avoid food aggression issues.

He might not be interested in the specific kind of kibble, have you tried different kinds?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been giving Arlos kibble on a cookie sheet (thanks to one of the suggestions here :) ). He's a gulper and it's really slowed him down. I am probably going to buy a treat ball though just to see if he'll work for it. The treat ball seems easier than the kong wobbler, and I'm not so sure he'll be willing to work for it. We'll see :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm a free-feeder. Always have done. I've heard that ridgebacks will take advantage, but this one doesn't, or hasn't yet. He & the terrier share a food bowl, sometimes they eat from it at the same time, sometimes they take turns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts