Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are struggling with our dog to take his antibiotic for kennel cough, we tried to give it to him with peanut butter and put it in a piece of hotdog. it;s hard enough trying to get him to eat let alone giving him his medicine without him spiting it out. Any suggestions?

Thank you for responding,
Latoya

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
1. open mouth
2. insert pill in the back of mouth near throat
3. close and hold mouth shut
4. gently massage dogs throat until swallowed.

:D

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
1. open mouth

Yep, this is what I do too. As soon as they swallow it I praise and give a treat, just to make it a little more pleasant.

·
Registered
427 Posts
With a tiny little dollop of squeeze cheese Miss Mandy can't wait to get whatever I want to give her ... including bitter tasting medicines. ;)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I put the pill in a tiny meatball of canned food. I give an "empty" little piece of canned food, then really quick give the one with the pill with it followed quickly by another "empty" piece. They eat them so fast they don't even notice anything is amiss.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a few things that I do. If this is a pill, which I'm assuming it is, I use either a pill pocket or cream cheese or coconut oil. Yes, that's right, lol, coconut oil. My dogs go crazy for it and at first it's a solid form. So I just quickly put it around the pill and give the "blob" of coconut oil with the pill in it to the dog. It starts to melt fast, so I do it quickly. I also let them lick my fingers when I'm done. It has worked great! Before I thought of the coconut oil I'd use cream cheese, which they also love, but I don't like giving them dairy all that much. The pill pockets also work great, but Lucy (my picky mixed breed) got so she wouldn't eat the pill pocket. That's when I started looking for other solutions. With my cat, though, I do the put back in the throat method and just blow on her snout to get her to swallow it.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I tear a cheese slice into 4 pieces and put the pill in one piece and seal the edges around it. Then feed 1 piece with no pill followed quickly by the pill one, while shoving the other 2 pieces in right after, so the dog doesn't have time to think about spitting the pill out.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
1. open mouth

This doesn't work for me with Lady, the other dogs haven't gotten pills...
For one, there is too much spit in her mouth and it seems like all her pills have turned to a nasty powdery paste in my fingers once they get wet.
Second, she is GREAT at spitting them out, which means another wet, pasty pill.

We have used hot dogs, cheese, meatloaf, ham, anything that we can wrap it in we do. Leftovers are great, cottage cheese works for us too.

Feeding one without pill and one with and maybe another piece of something without right after is a great idea too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This doesn't work for me with Lady, the other dogs haven't gotten pills...
For one, there is too much spit in her mouth and it seems like all her pills have turned to a nasty powdery paste in my fingers once they get wet.
Second, she is GREAT at spitting them out, which means another wet, pasty pill.

We have used hot dogs, cheese, meatloaf, ham, anything that we can wrap it in we do. Leftovers are great, cottage cheese works for us too.

Feeding one without pill and one with and maybe another piece of something without right after is a great idea too.

It helps to stuff the pill far back in their mouth, then stick the food in their nose for a second or two and then allow them to lick at the good treat to get it - that action gets the pill moving down.

It's also a great idea to practice this now before your dog needs meds, so it's not something new to them that you're messing with the treats and their face....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It helps to stuff the pill far back in their mouth, then stick the food in their nose for a second or two and then allow them to lick at the good treat to get it - that action gets the pill moving down.

It's also a great idea to practice this now before your dog needs meds, so it's not something new to them that you're messing with the treats and their face....

Its the whole getting the pill back their thats the problem, no dog I have ever had wont try to lick your fingers off if your opening their mouth and that means wet pasty pill. And its hard to reach the back of their tongue when its squirreling everywhere with a sticky pill.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We are struggling with our dog to take his antibiotic for kennel cough, we tried to give it to him with peanut butter and put it in a piece of hotdog. it;s hard enough trying to get him to eat let alone giving him his medicine without him spiting it out. Any suggestions?

Thank you for responding,
Latoya
many years ago, we had a dog with an immune disorder, so we had to give a LOT of antibiotics over the years! He was a GSD/Lab mix, which made it even harder... any hoo, we resorted to what hubs called a "Pill shooter." http://www.amazon.com/Four-Paws-Quick-Easy-Dispenser/dp/B0002563QS/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1331952304&sr=1-7 we were taking upwards of 4 and 6 pills/vitamins a day, so we needed all the help we could get. We had 3 of them, then you can run them through the dishwasher.

they're usually about 6 inches long w/a flexible opening. Drop pill in one end, push in the plunger, then just nab the pooch and stick it in the side of his mouth. Then tell him what an awesome pup they are, and treat!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
This is a dog with a muzzle so big it takes 2 hands to go around and I can easily put my hand completely in his mouth...

Grip upper jaw just behind canines (careful not to pinch his floppy lip against his teeth...OUCH!), Bus opens his mouth, I insert bill near the back of his throat, he swallows pill and gets a treat.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well, since you asked...

I throw it on the floor. Anything resembling food that is lying around won't be there for long.

Another good trick I've heard is just to take a handful of kibble or treats and put the pill in there with it. Offer it to the dog. Hopefully they'll be too busy wolfing down the food to notice.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Just as an aside, I have had the pleasure of owning two dogs in my life who would/will eat medications. One was a chesapeake bay retriever who was one of the most easy-going dogs I've ever known. I would simply literally hand her the tablet completely undisguised/unhidden and she would just crunch it up and eat it whatever it was. Which was a blessing because she had the worst hips I have ever seen and was on a lot of medications in her golden years.

The other is Squash, who one day upon finding a tablet of metronidazole (which tastes hideously horribly bitterly disgusting) hidden in a treat, spit it out on the floor, contemplated it, and ate it anyway. I just gave him the rest of his prescription without bothering with trying to hide them. Weirdo.

Pip is on some daily medication and the triple treat technique works slick as can be with him.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Do I want to know how you know this?
LOL... I know people who have taken it who have said so, and I've also accidentally touched my lips after handling it. I've never tasted it on purpose... although I did taste Tramadol once to see if it was bad after having a LOT of trouble giving it to one of my old dogs. It is similarly disgusting.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Wrapped in cheese oe pill pocket. Never had to go thru trauma of forcing it down. Actually, skyler has been on many meds due to his leg injury, he even hears me grab a Tylenol bottle, he comes runnin, just the sound of any pill rattling.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I tear a cheese slice into 4 pieces and put the pill in one piece and seal the edges around it. Then feed 1 piece with no pill followed quickly by the pill one, while shoving the other 2 pieces in right after, so the dog doesn't have time to think about spitting the pill out.
Yup! Us too.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
although I did taste Tramadol once to see if it was bad after having a LOT of trouble giving it to one of my old dogs. It is similarly disgusting.
off topic, sorry

Really? I take Tramadol for cluster headaches. I guess I haven't "tasted" it because I just swallow it down with water, but I haven't noticed a bad taste, actually I haven't noticed a taste at all.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yep sometimes it is a good thing to have a 'stupid dog'. Put pill in hand, pretend to eat it and then give it to dog. Dog is overjoyed it gets to eat some human food.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts