Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 2 year old rescue dog six days ago. His name is Benji and he's a 9lb chi mix (we think chi-terrier).

On Tuesday he had his first vet visit - he's up to date on all his shots and they said he wasn't necessarily due for a visit, but we wanted to establish a primary vet Doctor as soon as Possible. Well, they did a fecal test and it came back positive for Giardia. Which is apparently not uncommon for any dog, much less rescues.

(I just think after two trying days for both me and pup, I was kind of heartbroken to think things would get a little worse before they get better.)

Last night we gave him his first round of Panacur. My first question is, how do you go about giving your dog medication orally? According to everything I read I was doing it correctly, but I somehow ended up wearing quite a bit of the medicine because it was so hard to get him to stay still. I don't expect him to take it from me like a spoon full of sugar, but last nights experience makes me feel like a horrible person.

After finally getting the medicine in him, he didn't eat his dinner and wouldn't drink water the rest of the night. Reading posts on this forums and others, food aversion seems to be normal and they do have some ups and downs over the first few days of treatment (?).

Post potty break this morning, he slept quite a bit. He finally drank water for the first time around noon today, then I took him out for a short walk around one. He actually got up and seemed to have a little "cabin fever" I guess you could say, which was in turn giving me cabin fever so we walked about two blocks (we live in a condo in the city), but he was so tired by the end of it I had to carry him the rest of the way home.

I'm sure he's dehydrated so I basically begged him to drink water for 15 minutes and he finally had a little and perked up. I crated him once I was sure he was okay and ran out to the store to buy chicken for broth because I've read that a little on their food can be a good way to entice them to eat a bit.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I need to do anything special besides boil the chicken? Should I add carrots and leaks? Or just do plain chicken for the broth.

I also read somewhere about a potato, sweet potato, leak mash? Have any of you ever tried this?

After I got back from the store, he was excited for a moment and a little too enthusiastic with his water consumption. It didn't seem like he drank that much, but I know he hasn't had much for 24 hours and so he vomited it back up. Should I be worried? Have others who have experienced Giardia with their dog on Panacur seen this happened?

Sorry, I know I probably sound like a crazy pyscho first time mother... Because, well, I am a crazy pyscho first time mother. :redface:

I put in a call to his doctor this morning when he wasn't eating or drinking, but she hasn't called back yet.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Re: How do you give your dog his medications? & How do you cook his chicken broth?

I mix pyrantel with a bit of cream (half & half or heavy cream; whatever I have for my coffee :p), and they lap it right up, but I don't know if panacur tastes worse. You can try mixing it with something yummy, see if he'll take it. If not, you can syringe it into the side of his mouth (between his back teeth, try to angle it so it goes far enough back in his throat that he has to swallow it), most of it should get into him that way.

Don't add leeks to his broth---leeks are in the onion family, and too much onion is toxic to dogs. A small amount of carrots or potatoes wouldn't hurt, but aren't necessary. Just simmer the chicken for a good long time, to get all the nutrients out of the bones. If it gels up in the fridge you know you did it right :D.

Puppies in general tend to drink too much water and yak it up again. They just haven't had enough experience to know how much water is too much. If you see him drink too much you can pick it up and let him have it back when he's not too hot.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Re: How do you give your dog his medications? & How do you cook his chicken broth?

We're actually going through this with Beckett right now. He's just picking at his food, but he is drinking some water. I've been leaving his bowl out all day so he can keep picking at the kibble, which he does tend to do, so I know he's not starving or anything. With broth, I would definitely keep it as simple as possible.

The Panacur smells like paint, so I can't even imagine how gross it tastes. He's on 10ml which is a lot per dose, but we've just been prying his mouth open and shooting it into his mouth. I've been doing it twice (5ml each time) so that it's not as much to take all at once. I feel wretched about it, but he needs the meds. We give him a bit of cheese or chicken as a follow up for being a good boy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If not, you can syringe it into the side of his mouth (between his back teeth, try to angle it so it goes far enough back in his throat that he has to swallow it), most of it should get into him that way.

Don't add leeks to his broth---leeks are in the onion family, and too much onion is toxic to dogs. A small amount of carrots or potatoes wouldn't hurt, but aren't necessary. Just simmer the chicken for a good long time, to get all the nutrients out of the bones. If it gels up in the fridge you know you did it right :D.
I tried the syringe yesterday morning and he actually snapped at me... He's a rescue and we've only had him a week, so I feel horrible that he's stressed out enough as is and then I'm trying to shove objects in his mouth. I had my second good cry after that, but we are doing okay now.

Thank you for the info about the leaks Willow, I didn't know that. As well as the chicken broth gelling. I definitely didn't do it right - I just bought cut chicken with no bone! Smh. At least now I know for next time.

We're actually going through this with Beckett right now. He's just picking at his food, but he is drinking some water. I've been leaving his bowl out all day so he can keep picking at the kibble, which he does tend to do, so I know he's not starving or anything. With broth, I would definitely keep it as simple as possible.

The Panacur smells like paint, so I can't even imagine how gross it tastes. He's on 10ml which is a lot per dose, but we've just been prying his mouth open and shooting it into his mouth. I've been doing it twice (5ml each time) so that it's not as much to take all at once. I feel wretched about it, but he needs the meds. We give him a bit of cheese or chicken as a follow up for being a good boy.
Im so sorry you're going through this too Effisia. Poor Beckett. Benji started doing better on Friday. After the snapping and good cry, I remembered his doctor said to feed him a little chicken if he would eat it. So I shredded it into really small bits and folded the Panacur in then poured broth on top to mask the smell and he ate it all! I did it in small doses yesterday - four small glops. Today I did it in two. I just wasn't sure if he'd take it at first, so I didn't want to do too big of a bowl if he didn't eat it.

I think feeding him while giving the medicine also helped the nausea - which is why I think he wouldn't eat after the first one. That and like you said, it smells like paint. That would ruin anyone's appetite.

Benji is acting like a new dog already - energy wise. His first day on the medication when he was super sick he had one very watery stool, with a pink tinge to it. Now they are all normal in size, color and firmness. He's also not going as frequent, which I take as meaning everything isn't running right through him. I'm not foolish enough to believe the Giardia is "gone" yet, but I do hope this all means we are on the right track.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

I dread having to medicate a new dog, you are doing fantastic getting his meds into him. Give him unbaited cookies before and after quickly so he doesn't chomp into one with the med and stop taking the baited treats.

If it's a small amount of liquid you can dab it on his nose and hope he'll lick if off rather than rub it off on your clothes. A cookie after that for sure.

The syringe is the best for liquids though. Hold muzzle closed and stick it behind the canine teeth where there is a gap. If there's a lot to dose then push it in slowly or dog will gag which isn't good for getting meds down and is upsetting for dog and you.

Dogs don't care if broth gels or not. You could even save cooked bones and veggie scraps in the freezer until you have a couple of quarts and cook that. Free dog food that is. Bone isn't all that nutritious really. It's calcium, phosphorus and poor quality protein. If you use beef bones there's even a risk of lead accumulation. A dog on AAFCO labeled food doesn't need any more calcium and phosphorus. More protein is always fine of course.

·
Registered
28 Posts

My vet gave me Pancur in a powder form I usually feed him kibble but I switched to the wet form and mixed the panacur powder in the food and he ate it. I did notice that he was acting funny after eating it but he was fine. The next few days were a challenge because he was lethargic and really wouldn't eat or drink much. He got through the medicine phase and once off all was well again:). So I feel your pain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I dread having to medicate a new dog, you are doing fantastic getting his meds into him. Give him unbaited cookies before and after quickly so he doesn't chomp into one with the med and stop taking the baited treats.

If it's a small amount of liquid you can dab it on his nose and hope he'll lick if off rather than rub it off on your clothes. A cookie after that for sure.

The syringe is the best for liquids though. Hold muzzle closed and stick it behind the canine teeth where there is a gap. If there's a lot to dose then push it in slowly or dog will gag which isn't good for getting meds down and is upsetting for dog and you.

Dogs don't care if broth gels or not. You could even save cooked bones and veggie scraps in the freezer until you have a couple of quarts and cook that. Free dog food that is. Bone isn't all that nutritious really. It's calcium, phosphorus and poor quality protein. If you use beef bones there's even a risk of lead accumulation. A dog on AAFCO labeled food doesn't need any more calcium and phosphorus. More protein is always fine of course.

Thank you for all the extra info Kathy. I'm glad I'm not alone in dreading giving the meds. I guess our dogs probably dread it more than we do though. :) What are unabaited cookies? I've Heard it a few times now, but I don't know what they actually are.

I'm still learning what he likes and doesn't like. He doesn't like carrots. At least not raw. And he spit out the peanut butter treats I got him. So I don't know if I could bribe him in the future with peanut butter, although I just bought him a Kong and would like to freeze it - so I guess I will have to try sooner or later with the actual thing. He love cheese flavored and chicken.

I'm so sorry Ronp, I'm starting to think we got really lucky with only the one rather sick day. I did notice he'd sleep a few hours after getting his meds and it seemed more like he didn't feel well rather than an actual nap. I've heard the human medications that eradicate parasites knock you on your tush, so I'm assuming Panacur kind of does the same to dogs. I'm glad all is well now!

Thanks so much for the support guys. Benji has finished his first round and now we have the waiting period before the second bit. He seems to be doing well, so fingers crossed we can get rid of this thing! :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

Unbaited cookies would be the ones with no medication on/in them. Like, if you put his pill in a cookie, first give him 2 or 3 regular cookies, then the one with the pill in it, then very quickly another regular cookie so he doesn't have time to think about that pill in there and swallows quickly to get the next cookie.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts

Liquid meds I mix into yogurt, or if I'm out of yogurt, I'll hold a cookie in one hand and the syringe in the other and I'll squirt the meds in from the side as far back as I can at the same time I present him with a cookie (to be successful, this method requires your dog be very okay with handling around his mouth, which I know not a lot of dogs are).

Pills get hidden in something; for the golden I used to dogsit, raspberries or pieces of banana. For my own dog, a hunk of wet dog food. I've also had luck sandwiching it between two pieces of jerky, but Snowball is very much "swallow first taste later".

·
Registered
471 Posts

I mix Cali's joint supplement with cream and she loves it.

As far as pills go, Cali has never had to take pills, but mom used to put Mo's pills in some pepperoni or a slice of cheese and that seemed to do the trick. Dogs are certainly much easier than cats to give meds to, at least.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Unbaited cookies would be the ones with no medication on/in them. Like, if you put his pill in a cookie, first give him 2 or 3 regular cookies, then the one with the pill in it, then very quickly another regular cookie so he doesn't have time to think about that pill in there and swallows quickly to get the next cookie.

Thank you Willowy and Kathy! I used this to give him his next guard pill and he never saw it coming :).

Ginger, I've tried to give my dog banana, carrot, and a piece of Apple just to see if he'd take it. I was thinking maybe it could be a tasty treat alternative, but he wanted nothing to do with it. I guess in a way, it's good he doesn't want people food, but he had a horribly upset stomach yesterday and so the vet has said only a bland diet and no treats. We are training, so that makes things a little more challenging. So now I'm trying to come up with ideas for treats. If anyone has any good homemade recipes that are easy on a dogs tummy, please let me know. I'll be forever grateful!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts