Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm back with another inquiry regarding my two 4-legged bundles of energy!
How do you guys exercise WITH your dogs? There are so many ways to exercise your dog, but does anyone have any creative systems or programs for getting exercise along with your dog??

I really like variety, and my youngest still isn't old enough to run for distance, so I'm looking for some structured workouts to go along with my dogs' exercise. I'm looking for something other than daily walks and hikes, and games of fetch and tug. These are already standard as a dog owner, and I need something more high intensity to supplement every once in a while into my weekly workout routine. I love distance running,but like I said, my GSD pup isn't near being developed enough for it and I would like to have a couple more ideas to add some variety into my workouts. I dont like going to the gym to lift and then spend time on the treadmill when I can just go home and get out and exercise with the dogs.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dog agility, bike riding, swimming, fetch is what I do.

Though dog agility is definitely very creative and fun :D I personally really enjoy it, but its not really "working out", but it can be tiring depending how fast you run! Some people do a slow jog around the course, so for those people, yeah, it probably doesnt do much, but for the dog, its great! Those who run as fast as they can, it can be good!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
With my older dog we primarily take walks. He gets a lot of mental stimulation from sniffing, so we'll go for 1-4 mile walks regularly. He also gets some off leash time on our property to trot around and check things out. He's not really a runner so I don't think he'd appreciate going for jogs or running next to a bike.

My younger dog loves fetch, so we usually play about 15min of disc and then go for a walk. She's just turning a year so she's too young for jogging.

Both do agility and we try to fit in some core exercises when we can.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I go on walks with mine right now because she's too young for anything more than that. We usually go about a mile. When she's done growing on going to get one of those bike attachments (and a bike!) and do that with her because I think it would be fun, and we will be doing agility as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I try to take him for longer hikes twice a week (doesn't always happen), and on the other days we go for 3 or 4 mile jogs, I have him jogging alongside my bike for about 2 miles so far, and we go out to random fields to let him run.
We just moved to the middle of nowhere, it is so boring out here and I feel so bad for McGee - I just wish I could give him the life that I had originally thought that we would have together - a life out on the trails. The nearest trails are now 20 plus miles out and I drive 50 plus miles a day for work, so it adds up fast.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
11 pound Bucky is definitely not gimpy and today ran 2.5 miles next to my trike. Usually it's further but I'm going to be in the vegetable garden making raised beds and digging. He loves being in there and 'helping' by eating compost, rolling in the garlic chives and checking for critters. I'm guessing the trike is more exercise for me than him as he's generally pulling me along. He has been very satisfied with supervising my gardening and hasn't been a stinker at night because he has energy to burn off. The back yard will be pristine by summer if this keeps up!

I alternate running with loose leash walks which are a lot more exercise than one would think as there is so much starting and stopping, side stepping and waiting going on. His brain is fried after a mile of that. My goal is fried dog brain after 3 miles and being able to actually take a hike looks like that will be a very long term goal.

Then there are fetch, flirt poles, tug games all day long and short training sessions a few times a day as well. I get to do squats during fetch and great stretches and squats during tug.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks more like what I'm thinking of right now until he can run distance with me... What kind of program or regimen do you use? Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I was thinking maybe doing sprints while playing fetch with him or something... I just need a solid routine lol.. He gets plenty of exercise and I get a good bit of time in the gym when I'm not working.. I'm just trying to find a way to integrate our exercise every once in a while, not just to give him some variety, but also give us some more time together!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts