Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm inspired by a post on this page about someone going on vacation and taking their dogs. I'm seriously considering going on vacation sometime this year, but probably would not be able to take my dogs. If I did take them, they'd likely end up stuck in crates in a hotel room while explored various museums and tourist attractions. Obviously this is hardly a vacation for my dogs and they'd probably be better off not going.

I currently have the money (about $2k) to go someplace (although I'd spend far, far less than that). I'm not sure about the time or not. I'm a bit reluctant about taking time off work as there are some things that need done that I think I do best. I'm also not sure what to do with my dogs while I'm gone. I'm not fond of boarding them, but I don't think any of my friends/family would agree to walk them for 30-45 minutes a day and crate them indoors at night like they're used to. Expecting someone to come to my house in the AM, feed the dogs, let them out, walk them in the evening, feed them again, then crate them for the evening is probably expecting too much.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you're going on vacation to see museums and tourist attractions, you'd be better off boarding your dogs at a high-end place where they entertain and work with your dogs.

If it's a fun vacation with your dogs you want, consider a Dog Camp or Camp Dogwood.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just reluctant to board them. The kennels I've seen keep the dogs in cages pretty much all day. The dogs have access to an indoor area and an out door area, but aside from that are pretty much caged in dog runs all day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're smart to start thinking of it early. Regardless of what you decide it's best to test the waters first. Have the dogs do an overnight at the facility. Take them back there a day or two later; not to stay but just to approach the door. When I did this with Mabel she was tugging at the leash to get inside the facility. You'd think they fed her liver treats non-stop. (They probably did; she does a great "I'm starving. He never feeds me. Pleeeeease!" act.):D

If your dog is real reluctant about entering, you might look for another place.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check around, ask colleagues where they take their dogs -- like the previous poster, we board our dog when we go away, and she loves it there. She can run and play with the other dogs, the owners play with the dogs, and she just loves it. As soon as she realizes that is where we are taking her, she starts to get excited.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sound like an obsessive parent here, but what if something happened to my dogs while I'm gone? My basset is 10 years old. He's healthy as a horse (per the vet) for a guy his age, but what if he goes on to the rainbow bridge while I'm gone? What if one of them turns into an escape artist? Will disrupting their routine for a week really, really mess them up? I'm afraid I'll worry so much I won't enjoy my vacation. I have friends/family who I know would be glad to feed them, but probably would not take them out for regular exercise. I'm reluctant to give people a key to my house as I'm more than a little paranoid and neurotic and there are some boundary issues with family members. I will ask around to see if any of my friends who own dogs board them anywhere and what their experiences are.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have several great kennels in the area where they actually take the dogs out and play with them, etc.

IMO, even if you COULD get someone to come a few times a day, it would not be enough (depending on how long you will be gone). That's still a LOT of time in the crate.

We're going to Vegas for a wedding in June and my mom will be coming over and staying at our house with the dog and cats. She probably won't be exercising her as much as we do, but at least she'll get to be out of her crate most of the time and running madly around the house, LOL.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
what's a vacation? i haven't had one of those in i don't know how long...no, i take that back...went to GA a yr ago and took the dogs w/ me....that, to me, is a vacation....w/out them, i'd not have any fun....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have sisters willing to watch my dog so I haven't had much experience with boarding lately. I do remember though, that growing up I was often asked by neighbors to dog sit. It was a good gig for me since I'm so fond of dogs, and pre-working age it was great to make some extra money! If you live in a subdivision of sorts you might consider asking around for a responsible teen.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lucky enough to have several great kennels in the area where they actually take the dogs out and play with them, etc.

IMO, even if you COULD get someone to come a few times a day, it would not be enough (depending on how long you will be gone). That's still a LOT of time in the crate.
I have a fenced yard so in theory the dogs could be outside 24/7 (though I don't like to leave them out over night as they're not used to it) and someone could just come over, toss 'em some food and leave. Again, I'm not fond of this as I'm reluctant to give people access to my house when I'm not around and I don't think these people would take the dogs out and walk them for 30-45 minutes a day. I'm also worried that the dogs wouldn't behave for them the way they behave for me. (I've found dogs are sometimes like kids that way.) Theoretically anyway, the dogs could be outside 24/7 and someone could come over and feed them. There's a water spigot to re-fill the water bowl and the dogs have a dog house and other shelter while they're out there. Whether they'd use it or not is another question. I've often seen them standing in the rain getting soaked when I come home during a surprise shower.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I take mine to a doggy daycare that also does boarding. They are in a kennel only at night. During the day, they are in roomy areas where they can play with other dogs or lie down on dog beds and nap. The smaller dogs are kept in one area and larger dogs in another, which provides huge peace of mind for me. (It may not be a concern for you.) They are frequently taken outside.

My sister recommended this place to me, and it's great. I've taken Cupid there twice, and I will not hesitate to take Clayton there the next time I take a trip. I agree with others about talking to people about where they take their dogs. I wouldn't have chosen this particular place because I wasn't super impressed with their website. And I woud have missed out tremendously.

I'm hoping my next trip in the summer will be a dog tag-a-long trip, though.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Thereare some great boarding places out there, mine allows my dogs to stay in a 8x8 'room' with beds for each, playtime and I get a 20% discount for the second dog. They also have a place for my cat that has a cat tree to climb and plenty to entertain him.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I take mine to a doggy daycare that also does boarding. They are in a kennel only at night. During the day, they are in roomy areas where they can play with other dogs or lie down on dog beds and nap. The smaller dogs are kept in one area and larger dogs in another, which provides huge peace of mind for me. (It may not be a concern for you.) They are frequently taken outside.
I'm not really that worried about that. My primary concern is that both dogs have outdoor access at all times lest their housebreaking be ruined. The shelter I got Zero from had him in a kennel that had outdoor access, but chose to keep the door shut so he couldn't go out. He was housebroken and they knew this because it was on the survey his previous owners filled out. I don't want my dogs in another situation where they are forced to eliminate indoors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I found an excellent kennel and cattery where I can take both the dog and the cats. They cost more, but they are well worth it and my dog gets a bath and prettied up before she comes home. The two cats get a separate cage since they aren't the best of friends.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Funny how our dogs, as well as our other pets come so much into play when considering a vacation, huh?
I would never have boarded Georgie, he just would not have done well. Luckily I've always had some relative to keep him for me whenever I couldn't take him with. I'm actually seriously considering taking DJ to a day care once ih a while, where they also do boarding, just to get him some what acqainted with a place.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
My boyfriend's mom has watched our dogs and cats in the past when we have gone on vacation. She was here with them, let them out, fed them and they got some minor exercise with her and they were in a familiar place (home).

I have never boarded them. Honestly, I don't think that Uallis would handle being boarded very well. I just think that the separation from us, coupled with being in a unfamiliar place, with unfamiliar people...he just wouldn't handle it well; I think it would just be very stressful for him. Eddie would probably be ok though as long as he had plenty of people to fuss over him.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We board our dogs about 3 times a year for vacations...sometimes as long at 9 nights. It's just too much to ask neighbors to do. Our boarding place is at the vet's, so I feel comfortable if something were to happen- a vet is right there. They stay in "suites" with walls, a window, and a half door. They have beds and even a TV! Besides potty breaks, they also get playtime. I used to feel guilty, but they do fine! We deserve some fun time, too! ;)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I bet if you looked around you could find a doggie daycare where they board dogs at night. Our dog goes to a daycare where she gets to run around in a huge inside room and a big yard -- dogs can go in and out all day at will so she gets plenty of exercise and still has an outside potty area. At night they put the dogs in kennels. Helps them calm down and gives them a break from the company of the other dogs. They're so tired after playing all day that they need the break.

We've also done cage-free boarding where the dogs are allowed to sleep wherever they want; humans are there sleeping with and watching them. Our dog has done well in both situations. I used to feel as anxious as you about leaving her but we found really, really good people to take care of her, which makes it a whole lot easier. I miss her like crazy but I can relax and enjoy the vacation.

JMO but I'll take professional, responsible people who know how to take care of dogs and handle emergencies vs. relatives, friends, neighbors etc. any time. Besides if something happens, I can fire the daycare. I can't fire my relatives!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts