Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally found a good dog training place in my area that wasnt petco and petsmart. They have many great classes that I really want to take with Nova, but when I added up how much they would all cost, it came out around $800!! How the heck am I supposed to do this?? XD Even when I get a job, I may have the money for it, but then wouldnt have the time..... I dont know what to do, I am gonna do as much as I can, but I REALLY wanted to do many different classes cause they seem really great. The trainer at this place seems really nice and isnt one of those people who wants to dominate her dogs, she seems like everything ive been looking for. I just wish she had better prices :p One class at a time I guess.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
I think you will quickly discover that one class a week, MAYBE two, is about all you and your dog can handle, anyway (especially outside basic obedience type classes for pet people/pet behavior). You need to remember, there's homework you need to do. All you do in class is review and add distractions and find out what the next assignment is and how to implement it. Then you have to actually manage to teach it during the week before your next class.

That's not as easy as it sounds.

I do one thing at a time. That thing is 99% agility. I am probably going to add some stuff this fall/winter while agility's off, but while agility is on, it is on HARDCORE (like 3, 4, 5 days a week between both dogs hardcore), and it's on 6 months a year. Winter I want to fill with something, and will probably pursue rally, but summer? No. Are there other things I would like to do more of? Yes. I do a little bit of dock diving type stuff with Thud and I really want to get into the disc dog group we have around, but frankly my dogs don't have that kind of mental stamina (and even if they did/do they need some downtime), and I don't have that kind of time.

Money's not too bad. I spend about 100-150.00/month on classes/lessons. It adds up, but it's not a big chunk of the budget.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I don't do everything I'd like to do. I prioritize. :)

If I were rich I'd do all the things and have like 8 dogs.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
If I were rich I'd do all the things and have like 8 dogs.
...also this, because it WOULD be easier with more dogs to take some of the pressure off each other. Except also maybe not because this running two dogs in agility thing is going to kill me. It's HARD DARN IT.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt do it all at once but I still wanted to do it. First I am going to do the puppy basics class with her, but when she got older and more behaved I wanted to do agility classes with her, not to compete but just for fun. After puppy basics and primary basics they have
Basics to the streets, where they take all that youve learned to a crazy city setting and work with us on safety out in that jungle.
then there is Tails to trails where we go on four different hiking trails, they talk about snake safety (We have lots of those, there was a rattler on the front porch to greet us a couple days ago) and other wild animals. How much water/rest the dogs need and how often, they work on all that the dogs learned out in the wild.
They also have
Bike dogs which is pretty self explanatory, we learn how to train our dog to bike with us properly in all different settings, whether it is downtown, or mountain biking.
Then Advanced basics. Which I am sure yall know what that is
then they have agility and herding, I wanted to do both, but herding isnt really a big deal for me and the lady who did the training passed away.... I think Nova would do better at agility anyways, so we decided on that instead.

They have more classes and they do all sorts of events, like dining with your dog where we go to this dog friendly restaurant, and also they are doing some sort of dogtober fest thing.
Like I said they do a lot, the ones I listed are just the ones I wanted to do XD Although they arent necessary they seemed like theyd be a blast. Im just gonna do what I can with Nova and see how many of these classes I will be able to do over the years :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
There are a ton of classes I want to take, but as was said, there is a limit to how many you can realistically take at one time. I've taken two at once with one dog, but now try to stick to one for each of my two dogs. With work, other interests, and general laziness, that's about all I can handle. :)

As far as cost, I joined a training club. It's about $450/year and includes most classes (some - the ones I'm interested in, of course - have extra fees). They also cycle through classes, so if we can't take a class in one session, it will very likely be offered again. I figured out that I took over $1000 worth of classes with Katie and Tyson last year.

I should add that I have few non-dog-related expenditures.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, depending on how it's organized, they might have membership options (you usually have to take a certain number of full priced classes to qualify) and reduced prices for classes. I only pay $15 dollars a class with membership which requires a yearly $45 fee and 16 hours volunteer time.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Yeah, depending on how it's organized, they might have membership options (you usually have to take a certain number of full priced classes to qualify) and reduced prices for classes. I only pay $15 dollars a class with membership which requires a yearly $45 fee and 16 hours volunteer time.
Wow! That's cheap!

·
Registered
852 Posts
The place I take my dogs for training offers a yearly membership. It's around $200 but you can take up to two different types of classes at a time (like a higher level obedience class and agility). No where on their website does it mention this.

Usually after you take two classes, when you sign up for the third class the membership is offered.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've dabbled in various things with my dogs, but only one thing at a time. Started with puppy classes, then basic obedience, advanced obedience, beginner agility. Then we took a break from agility and did freestyle/dancing with dogs, then back to advanced obedience for a bit, then flyball, and now we're doing intermediate agility.

It helps to have two dogs, then you can do two things at once :)

Like CptJack said, you don't really learn all that much in the classes themselves, the real work is done at home. The most I could imagine doing is two different classes per week. Even with one class per week at the moment, we still have to balance new agility skills with maintaining basic obedience, as well as working on conditioning and trick training.

You'll just have to prioritise. Start with the one you're most interested in, when that's done do another one. Your dog will be with you for a long time, so there's no rush in getting everything done in the first year or two :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Out of what you've listed the Basics to the Streets sounds most interesting to me :) If I biked more often, the bike class maybe (great for exercise!).

When we have the time again I think I want to start agility with our older dog and honestly just do a basics class with the younger dog who has had no formal classes.

I agree: I do one class at a time, two max if time/money weren't an issue.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Just take one class at a time and take it slow. As CptJack said, one or maybe two classes a week is probably all you'll even want to do.

I do take a lot of classes, but I have a job that pays well and not a lot of other expenses so this is what I splurge on. When I had one dog we only did 2 classes per week usually. I'm only taking more because I have two dogs to train now, and because I got an opportunity for private agility lessons that I couldn't pass up (because I had been trying to get them for 6 months)

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Agreed with just pacing yourself. For a while I was doing 2 classes at a time but I've shuffled my financials around a bit and am now only doing 1. Generally I have had one sport class that is ongoing and then I'll do a random class here or there for fun that's not really 'building' to anything per say. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes I stop one class temporarily to do the other just depending on how the scheduling falls.

2 classes at a time was definitely my limit. They basically take up my whole evenings so it does mess with your schedule a bit in terms of doing chores and that kind of thing.

I know how frustrating it is feeling like you want to do all the things!

For finances I calculate how much a class will cost over how many weeks until it starts and put that portion of money away a little at a time so when the class start date comes the money is all saved already.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Good advice from everyone here! I would add that you can look for events that will let your dog demo different activities. A lot of dog events let the public sign up to 'run' an agility course, or do a lure course if there is one.
Also, everything you need to know about every sport is in article, video, and forum form on the internet. It is not the same as a structured class and first hand experience. But can you practice nosework, dock dive, disc, rally, agility, freestyle, etc. foundations on your own? Can you teach your dog concepts from all those sports without attending a class? Absolutely. Basically, not to downplay the value and fun of classes at all because they are indispensable. But not attending a class in a particular activity or sport does not mean you are completely barred from it :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys XD Made me feel better :p I am just going to do what I can with her, I mean like you said there is no rush I will have her with me for a very long time and not everything happens when they are young otherwise adulthood would be very dead. I set up a little agility course out of bedding bags and buckets in the back yard, but I decided it would be better to just do agility when she gets older and more obedient XD I like the lure course but I dont wanna teach her to chase animals or build her prey drive much since she will be with my chickens and we go camping, I dont wanna have to watch her with every single fricken squirrel LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts