Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh, I know. We've been trying to work with her but can't seem to get very far and sort of... give up, which is terrible, I know. But even so she's got a looot of energy, probably in part to the fact that she's a one year old lab mix... and labs, I swear, are insane. ;) I took that crazy dog for two walks the other day, along with three fifteen minute to half hour fetch sessions throughout the day and she still had the energy to chase the cat up and down the stairs late in the night.
LOL, sounds a lot like my puppy, Luna. She's got a bit of Lab in her, too. :D

If you or your dad are strong enough not to get pulled over, here's what worked with Luna (who's got Husky or Akita in her, so she's also bred for PULLING): I used a strong leather 6 foot leash. I threaded it through the belt loops of my pants, then passed the clip part through the handle before clipping it to Luna's collar so she was tethered to me. Keep giving treats (I used hot dog slices, because you can keep several of them in your mouth, which is easier than taking them individually from a treat bag), but hold them so she HAS to be in the correct walking position (by your side) in order to take them. You'd be amazed how soon they figure out where they're supposed to be. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one of the 16 foot large dog size flexi's that a dog chewed through near the latch, retracting the other 15 feet of leash and was also flabbergasted when taking screws did nothing but leave me with 2 screws in my hand and a still sealed leash. LOL. So I've tried using my finger nails thinking it would just pop open, tried removing the part where the leash comes out, thinking maybe it was the "lock" to the thing once the screws were out. Nope. So then I got ta thinkin'...what do you do when you can't get in some place? You send something smaller in after it. I thought...hmm maybe some of my husband's really slim pliers will make it. Off on the adventure to find the pliers I found a dental pick. Worked like it was meant to do it. I stuck it in the hole, hooked the sneaky leash inside the still sealed chamber, and wiggled it out! Success! Now I just have to use some super thread to sew the latch back on to the in tact portion of leash.

-Outsmarted the marketing ploy to buy another leash!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can't with most of them. If you can, then the spring will unravel and as the more popular flexi leads have sealed units, you can't do anything...I suspect it's like most things today...made to buy a new one when the most obvious thing goes wrong.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts