Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure most of our dogs have good recall 90-95% of the time and never bolt. But what do you when the dog walks or runs out of yard and recall fails?

A few basic assumptions are:
It's either your dog or a friend's dog.
You and the dog know each other and more or less get along. You can touch and handle the dog without fear.
It's only been several seconds since recall attempts failed and the dog is between 10-40 feet from you but moving away.
Residential neighborhood with light vehicular traffic and sidewalks (that the dog is roaming)

*Edit*
One more assumption, the dog can run quicker and for a longer distance than you.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not a whole lot you can guarantee in these types of situations. As Patricia McConnell would point out, you can naturally make most dogs come towards you by walking away from them with your back facing them. My dog usually approaches anybody who's sitting or squatting down. I think in most cases you just have to be patient, wait it out, and hope nothing bad happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You call out in your happiest voice, "Carmen, come," and pretend to run away. The dog will chase you back into the house, and you'll be glad that the dog you've had for only a week didn't make you chase it down the street in a towel. Ask me how I know.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My mom had a Husky mix who would get loose often, and we would simply leave the gate open with food and wait until he got hungry...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Never chase a dog. They have four legs, unless you're Usain Bolt, you're not moving faster than something with four legs.

Get the dog's attention, then turn and run away. It's a fun game! If that doesn't work, go get high value treats like hot dogs and throw a bit at your dog. Keep throwing them, don't even worry about his diet. Keep luring him with treats until you can grab him. If none of that works, keep some treats on you and follow at a distance as casually as you can. Eventually, he'll get tired, bored, hungry or thirsty and come back to you.

After that, do NOT punish him. If you ever punish him for coming back, you're ensuring that catching him next time will be even harder. Give him a treat for coming back to you and then go home and work even harder on recall. (and fixing how he got out in the first place.)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Wait 5 minutes and they come back. Well, that works for my dogs and my mom's dog's. My grandpa's dog would be gone for hours. But he wasn't neutered and usually ended up in the yard of a female in heat, so her owners would call my grandpa to come get him. I don't think he ever came home on his own.

Anyway, chasing never helps, and usually makes the dog go farther. Looking for the dog rarely helps, because you're never looking in the right place! Walking around the neighborhood shaking a treat bag sometimes helps. . .:p.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This happened yesterday with my friend's 14 month old pit-mix. After she escaped the yard she started walking down the sidewalk. I gave her the leash to my dog and tried to calmly walk up on her alone, but she walked away to sniff another tree.

I knew I couldn't catch her but that she loves to play chase so I ran after her full speed for a bit as she ran away from me. Then when she glanced back I quickly reversed and ran towards her my friend as fast as I could. Apparently she was merely jogging when I chased her because she closed that 15 foot gap and passed me like it was nothing. She ran directly towards my friend who got her to sit while I was still 2 houses away. I'd intended to touch her as she attempted to run past me, but it when a black dog runs in the dark it's almost like seeing where she was vs where she is.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a whole lot you can guarantee in these types of situations. As Patricia McConnell would point out, you can naturally make most dogs come towards you by walking away from them with your back facing them.
With my dog Spirit, I find that only works when we are away from my house. But if she can see home it has no affect. Either I walk quickly and calmly until I can touch her or I have to make her chase me and then touch her.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Diesel comes to a squeaky toy. Works every time. Or, I'll let him go swim for a minute, then recall him and if he lags I threaten to not let him go swimming every again. That usually works, Lol

Aleu comes only when she's damn good and ready. I generally end up trying to play chase with her, or calling for a cat so she'll freeze and stare or squealing WANNA GO SWIM!? LETS GO SWIM! 8D and then hit the trail towards the river so she'll hopefully follow me.

It's different for every dog, however. A squeaker might work, food, squeaking and running away so they'll chase you, etc.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
All I know is you don't run after him!!

If his recall didn't work, I might try "Touch!" He'll come running to touch for a treat a lot of the time.

My dog tends to stay pretty close to me, and isn't so big on chasing things, so I imagine if we were somewhere and he did get away, it would be because he wanted to get back to the house or the car which are the only two things, other than me, he ever shows a strong desire to get to.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
You call out in your happiest voice, "Carmen, come," and pretend to run away. The dog will chase you back into the house, and you'll be glad that the dog you've had for only a week didn't make you chase it down the street in a towel. Ask me how I know.
Agreed. And lol on the towel part... that would have been quite a story.

I've had two fosters slip their collars. Yes, I did learn my lesson after the first one on using martingales or harnesses but the second one managed to slip her collar on the first night they brought her to me before I could buy either item.
Both times they only got a very short distance away because I immediately went "Hey, lets go to the park, yay! Time for walk!" in a super happy voice (to paraphrase- if the dog knows and likes words like car, park, walk or dinner it helps a lot) and jogged a few feet in the other direction.

to catch a dog that's been loose awhile or is actively avoiding, sometimes driving slowly with a car door open makes them run up to you and of course, shaking a treat bag or tossing treats to lure them closer while someone else walks around to get behind them can work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
squeeky toy or I take the car to go look for my runner. Zoey absolutely cannot resist the temptation of a ride, she's probably go home with the UPS man just because he has a truck!

Emmett usually comes back pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel hasn't gotten out and taken a "joy run" around the neighborhood for quite a while but the few times he did get out I would calmly follow him around until he got tired of exploring. He never tried to leave the neighborhood but he would cross the residential street with no care to the possible danger. The last time I grabbed a dentastix which he LOVES and I just had to get his attention on me. Once he noticed the dentastix he came a run'in.

If and when he gets out again I think I'll try the car trick. Jubel can't resist an open car door so it's very likely to work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jubel hasn't gotten out and taken a "joy run" around the neighborhood for quite a while but the few times he did get out I would calmly follow him around until he got tired of exploring. He never tried to leave the neighborhood but he would cross the residential street with no care to the possible danger. The last time I grabbed a dentastix which he LOVES and I just had to get his attention on me. Once he noticed the dentastix he came a run'in.

If and when he gets out again I think I'll try the car trick. Jubel can't resist an open car door so it's very likely to work.
we got that one from a friend that had a Pit Bull/Chow Mix that LOVED riding in the back of a truck. he got loose a lot, and they'd drive through the neighborhood with the truck gate down. they'd find him in 10 minutes, flat!

keep in mind this dog was black with a black tongue, so I'm sure if he'd ever hopped into the back of someone else's truck, they'd probably think one of Satan's minions was hitching a ride, lol!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
The owner of the loose dog.. paying attention to another dog.
For the jealous dog (like mine) I'm sure this could be absolutely perfect.
I know Diesel would bulldoze another dog down and stand in it's place for me to pay attention to him.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
When I am fostering and a dog gets loose, I have had good luck with flinging myself to the ground and rolling around laughing. There's something about a human on the ground that is very enticing to most human-loving dogs. Laugh, roll, pick grass and throw it up in the air, act like you're digging... This will bring most dogs in.

For my own, I just have to call them. Running away is also very, very powerful.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
It just wouldn't happen to me and my dogs. They never bolt or run away, and if I take off running away from them I can guarantee they will come. Or I can put them in a sit from a distance and go and get them. But their value for being with me beats everything.

If it was a friend's dog or a new dog I would either lie on the ground and/or make funny noises or run the other way while calling the dog. If the dog didn't love being chased I might just casually walk over to it like nothing out of the ordinary was happening and then just grab the collar/leash.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You have the answer you looked for above, now for the home work.

Teach him his name and reinforce the recall.

·
Registered
689 Posts
With my dogs, I basically act like they're missing the best party ever if they start wandering away from me. I'll run away from them, call they're name in a super excited and happy tone, I'll play with a toy of theirs if I happen to have one, I'll pretend to be really interested in something on the ground, etc.

Sometimes it's a waiting game though (especially with my huskies and others I've known). I don't chase them as that will only make things worse but I will try to keep track of the general vicinity of where they are so I can kind of make sure they don't get hurt. Like at home, I go stand up by the highway to make sure they don't show up on it.
They usually come right back after they've had their fun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts