Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all that tongue coming at you?? :brushteeth:-- not sure this is the right forum for this, not really a health or grooming question, so here it is.

Sadie's teeth are very white, and healthy from what i can see. I want them to stay that way. So I have been brushing her teeth. I think. Her tongue comes out all over the place and I am not sure i am getting the back teeth very well. She really dont mind me doing it, she will sit in one place and let me do what i need to do, sorta.

Is there a way to get her so she isnt licking the brush more than I am brushing? Plus- how often should I be brushing her teeth? I've heard that brushing the inside of the teeth isnt all that important, what do you think of that? I try to get inside teeth, but she has a lot of tongue! lol I am using the long dog tooth brush, or would it be easier to use that brush that goes on your finger?

The last dog I had, had to have 4 teeth pulled right after we got him, he wasnt even 3 yrs old at the time. (we rescued him that way) I really do not want to go thru that again.
Anyway~ I just wanted some imput.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, you use one hand to pet them and calm them, while you use an other hand to hold the toothbrush, then your third hand to try to keep their lips out of the way, and your fourth hand to...oh wait, you don't have 4 hands do you?

Honestly, you're a step ahead of the game just trying to brush teeth. Do your best and what you miss one day, you might catch the next. Aside from teeth brushing, you can do your best to supply dog with safe chewy things and favour kibbles over wet food to help keep teeth clean. You can also keep an eye on tartar buildup and talk to the vet about dental cleanings before it gets to the point of needing extractions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol~~ almost need 4 hands! Calm?? HAHAHAHAHA! she actually gets excited when i bring out the brush and toothpaste, she will jump on the bed or coutch for me to reach her better and holds still, except for that big thing in her mouth!!:doh: l think she just likes the toothpaste. And she is due for shots here soon, will ask the vet then. Actually have a few questions for her, one I think may need blood tests. Hope not, expensive for us atm. Oh well, shes worth it. :) (arent they all?)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...CALM??? Good luck. With Kit's food motivation, there's no way. That tail begins thwacking anything within reach the second the toothpaste appears.

I've had better luck with the little finger brushes. You get better aim that way, and if the dog enjoys the toothpaste, then they're being rewarded for allowing the manipulation of their mouth, lips, gums, etc. For almost any grooming type thing, I have a command that means roll on your back and stay there. It's easier to brush teeth, trim nails, etc. if the dog in upside down with their head in my lap.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I started brushing Bella's teeth when she was 3 months old - she -loves- trying to eat the toothbrush/toothpaste. She's actually very calm and will sit there for me while I brush her teeth.

She also more as a liking to nipping the bristles of the brush and pulling them rather than licking. And I'm very grateful for that - since Bella has an abnormally HUGE tongue. -_-

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Jackson was a toothbrush hater for a long time. It was such a struggle that I had basically given up and managed only to brush his teeth when he'd get in the bath tub every week or two.

He had to have a dental last month (at age of 3) due to another tooth issue (over-bite, had a vital pulpotomy on his canine tooth) so got them cleaned while under. They weren't terrible but did have some tarter build-up on all of his canine teeth. Anyways now they are shiny and white and perfect and I plan on keeping them that way and hopefully not needing for a long time/never needing another dental (at least that's my goal).

So anyways, after the procedure on his mouth, we weren't allowed to brush for two weeks so I took advantage and every night for those 2 weeks, we would go into the bathroom. First couple of days, he'd just go in there and get a treat. Then I brought out the brush, introduced him to it, let him sniff, etc. Eventually he had started opening his mouth when he saw it. I would lift up his lip, get him used to me touching around his face, etc, and he'd get a treat.

Now he's SOOO good at getting his teeth brushed. He comes into the bathroom with me every night, it's his little routine and he doesn't even put up a fuss. I wouldn't say he enjoys it but he tolerates it and that's what is important!

I bought CET beef flavored toothpaste which he seems to like and a CET finger toothbrush (which I find a bit easier to brush with).

You are a step ahead of the game by just brushing! I think doggy dental care is so much more important than most people think it is. Veterinary dentists suggest brushing daily. Sometimes I'll miss 1 or 2 nights but in general, I've been keeping up with it every night. Plus I have other stuff I've been using as well, Petzlife gel, HealthyMouth, CET chews, etc.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
To get him to stop chewing the brush, simply use a wet toothbrush, rather than dog toothpaste. Also, A dog cannot usually stick his tongue out of the side, he usually licks from the front, so there is limited tongue reach. Every other day is usually Ok, Every two days may not be enough. And the normal goal is to keep the gumline clean, rather than to keep the teeth clean. The teeth will eventually stain and yellow as your dog passes his tenth birthday, but his gums can stay healthy for his entire life. I think we're all shooting for 26 years !!!

1. I sit on the kitchen floor and call my dog. He knows he's going to get a strange treat of Chicken toothpaste.
2. I stick my thumb in his mouth to pull back his lips, and I may push him back to the cabinet, or use my foot as my third hand, as I brush his upper teeth, which he tries to lick. Then, I immediately switch to his bottom teeth, but he lowers his head to try to reach the brush... I use my foot to hold him in place (I do not have opposable toes or a prehensile tail :) )
3. I then add more toothpaste and work on the other side. I'm right handed and I always do his left side then his right.
4. After I finish both sides, I let him lick the brush and my hand for as long as he wants. Then, he gets some water while I wash the brush. Finally, I let him outside in the backyard to go to the bathroom. Then, it's bedtime for him.

It's not fun, but it has made a significant difference in eliminating doggie breath!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol-- no it isnt easy, but it is funny, toothpaste all over the place! lol Well worth it. I am very prould of Sadies teeth, I thought that chewing on raw bones would do it, and up till now it has. I brushed her teeth when she was a puppy, till I broke my knee, then it just kinda stopped. (like everything else).

I seen a 6 mth old puppy at the park a few weeks ago, and I dont know what these ppl were thinking, or doing, but her teeth were already BROWN! (that is what got me on this kick again) and her breath was horrible! and she was just a puppy!! I really wanted to say something but kept my mouth shut. I keep hoping they were still her puppy teeth. (6 mths? prob not)
but anyway, thanks for the advice and Have a Happy Doggy Smile!!:becky:

(wish they had doggy icons)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
lol-- no it isnt easy, but it is funny, toothpaste all over the place! lol Well worth it. I am very prould of Sadies teeth, I thought that chewing on raw bones would do it, and up till now it has. I brushed her teeth when she was a puppy, till I broke my knee, then it just kinda stopped. (like everything else).

I seen a 6 mth old puppy at the park a few weeks ago, and I dont know what these ppl were thinking, or doing, but her teeth were already BROWN! (that is what got me on this kick again) and her breath was horrible! and she was just a puppy!! I really wanted to say something but kept my mouth shut. I keep hoping they were still her puppy teeth. (6 mths? prob not)
but anyway, thanks for the advice and Have a Happy Doggy Smile!!:becky:

(wish they had doggy icons)
Most likely retained baby teeth..... at that age, I've never heard of such bad tarter/breath unless there are some retained baby teeth needing to be pulled.

·
Banned
253 Posts
lol! I tried brushing my jack russells teeth but he just eats all the tooth paste and acts like a mad man he gets so excited! So now every 6 or so months we make a visit to the vet for a thorough cleaning. The others just get bones regularly

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just work around the tongue - keep plowing my way through until I hit teeth lol.
For my dogs it is easier to do it when they are lying on their side--then I use one hand to hold their head down, and the other to brush. Minimizes the tongue going all over the place.

It takes 24-48 hours for plaque to turn into tartar (which is "permanent" as in, brushing isn't going to remove it). So ideally you want to brush at least every other day to prevent tartar buildup. ANY brushing is better than no brushing, but if you do it any more infrequently than that, it's not going to be as effective and you'll likely still run into dental problems.

I don't brush the insides, just a good scrubbing of the outside surfaces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts