Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Carolina dog puppy (he will be arriving on Sunday!). It is extremely important that his training goes as planned because he will be traveling the world with me. I know how I want him trained, I am just not completely sure how to do it. Because I need him to be brave and protect me I need him to know that he outranks all other people except for me. I also want him to act wary of strangers until I give him a command to befriend them or a command to attack. I know this sounds like a strange way to train a dog, but I am a young girl traveling alone so I need him to be this way. I would love any suggestions you might have on how I would go about training my puppy.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
No. Nonononononononono. No.

Protection training is NOT a do it yourself project. It is time consuming, difficult, can't be done with young puppies and very expensive. It's expensive because if you do it wrong, you end up with a dog who rips off a child's face because the kid looked at him funny.

What are you going to do with this dog while you travel? You can't take a dog absolutely everywhere, some places have quarantine laws and this is just a really bad idea. Either don't travel, don't travel to dangerous places, or bring a human companion to help keep you safe.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow,,first what is a Carolina dog? what are they bred for?
secondly, it will be next to impossible to travel with people around with a dog trained that way.We have a dog in training now for personal property protection..he doesnt leave the farm..he is trained to protect the home and everything in it..its $$ and like the other poster said..time consuming.
You will need to gain obeidence training to start with if you will be traveling with him/her .

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm not at all sure why you chose a Carolina Dog. Pariah-types aren't exactly known for being personal protection dogs.

But, like everyone else said, having an attack-trained dog is a huge liability. And it's definitely not something you want to do yourself. I also don't know how you plan to travel the world with a dog. It's not easy nowadays.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
As someone who has traveled to some of the most dangerous countries in the world barring active war zones, I can say that even a properly trained personal protection dog will do absolutely jack for protecting you in those sort of places.

Second, in the US, a properly trained personal protection dog is expensive in more ways than one- expensive to train, expensive to keep up the training and expensive to insure. skip any one of those parts and you, the dog and the person the dog attacks when he shouldn't are all in for a world of hurt. Unfortunately, the person the dog attacks is going to be literally hurt badly.

This is NOT a "do-it-yourself" project.

And regardless of how you train the dog, travelling outside the US/Canada with a dog is time consuming and expensive. Some countries have months long quarantines, air travel requires crating and shipping as cargo which can be dangerous to the dog (and costs $$), and the more lax countries often have a problem with strays which can kill your dog. Countries like India have a huge rabies problem among street dogs.

Basically nothing you plan is really workable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok,I looked up the Carolina Dog..The American Dingo..never heard that term before Carolina Dog.Anyhow according to the breed Characteristics you may not have to worry about your dog being wary of strangers.
CHARACTERISTICS

A generally shy and suspicious nature is characteristic, but excessive fear and any resistance to examination is not desirable. No individual should be expected to be friendly and outgoing, nor to enjoy physical contact with strangers.
Very serious fault - Outward aggression.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you don't have much experience to train dogs, don't train him for protection. For protection training you need to be able to have almost 100% reliable obedience, or you will have a dangerous dog.

If you want to feel a bit safer, you can train your dog to bark by command instead. Normally, some dogs just looks intimidating enough that people with dangerous intent would avoid approaching.

In my case, I have a dog that is dog aggressive. We have been taking him to trainings so that he got much better, but we had a hard time calming him down that all we could do is to hold the leash and restrain him physically so that he can't get other dogs. That is when I'm glad he's human friendly, coz just imagine how things would be if he's human aggressive and we can't control him.

Also, often a dog would be put to sleep even if it has legitimate reason to bite.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be very, very careful with teaching protection training. My family has been training dogs for years but we still sent our old belgium shepherd to one of the top trainers in the country for protection training. He was extremely well trained and very, very well socialized. His obedience was amazing, if you put him in his spot he wouldn't move for anything. But, God forbid someone make the wrong move. If you weren't paying attention and some guy was hackling you, that dog was all over him.

I couldn't imagine having a dog like that if he didn't have amazing obedience and was great with people unless they were a threat (i.e. moved to fast towards us, we got upset, etc. Also, he didn't bluff. The only time he'd hesitate was if he was confused as to what was going on. THen he would just get real scary looking) :) Training a dog to be aggressive (that is basically what you are doing) is NOT something a newbie should do. What if you didn't socialize him enough and a kid came over and grabbed his tail? Sorry, but if you want a dog like that, find a really, really good trainer and make sure it's done right. I can't even imagine how bad I would feel if my dog bit a child or severely maimed someone who wasn't doing anything wrong.

-Lauren

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
belgium shepherd
Quick note, Belgian Shepherd, not Belgium. Really grinds my gears when people say that lol sorry XD

To the OP, to start off with you got the wrong dog. Police forces and protection sports stick to specific breeds (in general) for a reason, and that's because they excell in obedience, trainability and are truly some of the smartest breeds in the dog world which probably have successful working lines in their pedigree.

And unless you have money in the tens of thousands to train YOURSELF and the dog then it's not viable at all. Quarantine and other environmental/cultural/import factors in each country also rule it out.

While I can understand your concern at personal safety, if the concern is there in the slightest I would be second guessing the choice. Why go somewhere if you don't feel safe? I can understand mad sense of adventure in going to unsafe areas but even then it's never alone, normally a group with someone experienced guiding you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quick note, Belgian Shepherd, not Belgium. Really grinds my gears when people say that lol sorry XD
Hey, it's cool. No need to apologize! I'd probably do the same thing. Wait. I do. Now, I shall never sound ignorant about it again! Thanks for the correction, and no, I'm not being sarcastic :). I'm sincerely thankful :). I should have checked first. Now, I shall stop getting off subject and let the OP have her thread back!

-Lauren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts