Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my German Shepherd, Hunter, gets WAY too crazy when I go outside to play with him. He constantly bites my ankles very hard and uses my arm like a chew toy and it hurts a lot. He also jumps on me non-stop. When he meets my dad he a lot less crazy and doesn't bite or jump mainly because my dad is more rough with him and won't put up with it. I try very hard to tell him to stop and show him i'm the dominant one, but he just thinks i'm playing. I got Hunter from a pet shelter when he was around 8 months and he's about about 2 years old now. I should also note that he does get lonely and wimpers/cries at the window wanting us to play while we're at work/school. I'm probably the only one in my family that cares for him (i'm 15 btw) and as in cares I mean spends time with him and plays. What can I do to make him more obedient? I'm new here too and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Thanks for your time!http://www.dogforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You need to actually spend time with him. Like tons of time, at the very least an hour a day but even that isn't really enough. It sounds like he's an outside dog? I wonder why the shelter let him be adopted by anyone that didn't want him to be inside as part of the family. Or by someone who is "rough" with him. It is possible to properly care for an outside dog, but honestly it's a lot harder. But it can be done if you care enough.

But forget about dominance or being rough with him. That will never help a dog to trust you, and, especially with a GSD, may make him aggressive. Pick up a book about positive reinforcement dog training, and spend time teaching him how to behave the way you want him to. It will take a lot of time and effort.

If you aren't willing or able to teach him in a positive manner, it's best to take him back to the shelter (or find a German Shepherd breed-specific rescue if the shelter is a kill shelter) while he's still young, because a GSD who doesn't get enough positive attention will likely turn aggressive at some point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks you for the info. I understand that he needs lots of care and I'm really trying to give him lots of love and attention. I also think the reason he was at the shelter in the first place is because he was stray, but believed to be abused or mistreated possibly. I will do some research on what you said too. Also about the whole treating him rough thing, it's just my dad that does it and he's very "old-school" and believes that will discipline him which I understand is not the case. That's why I love giving him love and attention. Specifically for my GSD could you point out some books, websites, or videos that will help me? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a 90lb GSD so I know it's not fun to have them jump up and mouth you. I stopped the jumping up by putting my hand out like in a stop gesture as he was jumping up so his nose would bump into my hand. He used to mouth as a puppy but I would stuff one of his favorite toys or a ball in his mouth instead and say no bite.

You do need to mean what you say with GSDs but not necessarily be dominant. When I tell Eko no I use a stern voice but I don't yell. He jumps up, I put my hand out and say NO, then ask him to sit. Then he gets a pat on the head or a treat :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably about 15-30 minutes of playing fetch and tug-of-war. I feel bad saying it, but some days he gets none and maybe about 3 or 4 days of the week he is played with. I'm really going to change this and make a difference too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what would I do if Hunter were to start biting my hand or ankles? He's like a wild baby that wont listen XD Pretty much the only way I can stop this is to start scratching his tummy because he loves it. When I'm done scratching his tummy and he gets up it's like all hell breaks loose. It's like i'm a bad guy and he's a police dog and he jumps on me and attacks me in a playful way of course, but sometimes he can get a little too carried away and it starts to hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First I have to say that my german shepherd is my best friend. They are amazing dogs if you train them correctly.

You should spend alot of time with him. Try to use every spare moment playing or training him. Once he realizes that you have plently of time to spend with him he should calm down. If he does get crazy and you want him to stop, you should ignore him. Act like whatever behavior he is presenting to you is completely beneath you and you won't give him attention for it. Avoid physically contact when he acting like this as it gives him the impression that you are playing too. I would also use a stern-growly voice when repremanding him. Do Not Yell, this is like barking to a dog and gives him mixed signals. If you use a low growl sounding voice he will get that you are not playing and will eventually stop.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Probably about 15-30 minutes of playing fetch and tug-of-war. I feel bad saying it, but some days he gets none and maybe about 3 or 4 days of the week he is played with. I'm really going to change this and make a difference too.
Right here's your problem.

You've got a VERY human social, VERY high energy, highly intelligent breed left alone in the yard.
He needs at east two hours a day of exercise. He needs to go for walks, long walks, or jogs. He needs to run and play and be taught things and have his mind stimulated.

If you start exercising the dog daily, set aside AT LEAST 1 hour a day to spend time with your dog, you will start to see a difference in him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts