Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . when he always wants what he's got more than the treat?

A little background. My Lhasa Apso/miniature poodle mix is on a special diet because of his bladder stone surgery. He has one kind of food and one treat. He likes the treats well enough and does training for SIT, DOWN, UP, SHAKE quite readily.

DROP IT is a bit of a problem, though. Because he is limited in treats, he is reluctant (to say the least) to let anything go. He chews paper, cardboard, people food when it falls to the floor, and his doggy friend's treats (they spend a lot of time together, and sometimes my friend doesn't find all of the treats so she can put them up before he arrives). I do my best to keep him from getting any of this, and I will continue to be vigilant.

However, I'd still like to teach him DROP IT. Right now, DROP IT means chew it as fast as he can. I'm thinking of switching to GIVE, but I can't figure out how to get him to do it since he always wants whatever he has more than the treat.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
233 Posts
use better treats. what treats are you using right now? just make it al ot better nd hell most likely give in. also do it when youre real close so you canput the treat to his nose. when he smells it he'll open his mouth to breathe since his nose is smelling right now and he cant use it to breathe anymore. just use something super good, little strips of chicken, hot dog pieces, etc.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Use a favorite toy, or find another good motivator. It's not just about treats, it's about ANY higher value item than the one he has.

use better treats. what treats are you using right now? just make it al ot better nd hell most likely give in. also do it when youre real close so you canput the treat to his nose. when he smells it he'll open his mouth to breathe since his nose is smelling right now and he cant use it to breathe anymore. just use something super good, little strips of chicken, hot dog pieces, etc.
She can't use those things because the dogs on a restricted diet.

Oh, you COULD put the treats with something that smells REALLY yummy though, like a small piece of salami to make it smell more enticing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
im sure theres something thats really good that the dog can have as a treat? it only takes a few times a day to teach her, the pieces can be super duper small and itll still work. maybe you can ask your vet to give you ideas of what can be used

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree with CS. Rewards don't always have to be treats. Find something that your pooch won't be able to resist, a favorite toy, blanket, food, or even a belly rub (I remember a dog who used to do tricks for belly rubs. Lol.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a maltese which is similar in breed to your dog. i cant teach it anything. he's really energetic and just jumps for the treat. how did u teach yours tricks?

ilovelouis

·
Banned
749 Posts
I would not teach drop it until Leave It is taught first. How I trained Lola the leave it command was to put a few treats on the floor and said leave it while blocking her with my hand to get them.

Now when something drops on the floor I just say leave it and she goes into a sit position automatically.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
i have a maltese which is similar in breed to your dog. i cant teach it anything. he's really energetic and just jumps for the treat. how did u teach yours tricks?

ilovelouis

Teach this first for Leave It. Be PATIENT, puppies have VERY short attention spans. Work no more than 5 minute sessions AFTER some good hard play to tire the dog a little, but before feeding so the dog has an appetite. Be consistant and DO NOT give in to begging or any undesirable behavior.

Doggy Zen

·
Registered
4,966 Posts

ilovelouis
I agree with Carla, go and check out Doggy Zen. While you're reading the stickies, check out the NILIF one as well.

To the OP: I've found that very often, a rapidly squeaking squeaky-toy can often provide a great distraction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts