Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a crack head is to crack as my dog (Venus, black lab mix) is to a ball, she can never get enough of fetch even when she is exhausted and can barely stand she will try to get it, a lot of times she looses sight of the ball and can"t find it so i thought of using a laser pointer, exited i point it near her and she had 0 reaction to it, so

How can i get my dog to go to the laser dot. or even better retrieve things that I'm pointing at with the laser.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would freeshape it. If you haven't been clicker training, I would recommend you look into it, as it would be the easiest way to train it.

Point laser at floor near the dog, reward dog for any interaction with it (obviously be careful not to get it in her eyes), until the dog is actively seeking out the dot. Picking objects up and delivering them to you needs to be taught as a separate thing. When your dog knows both of these things well, point the laser at the ball, use your command for retrieving the object. Practice this heaps, until the dog makes the connection.

Not sure how this will help find the ball though, because if you can't see the ball you can't point the laser at it. I think for the use you described, I would just teach her to retrieve the ball on cue.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'd start with target training to the laser and then work on retrieval from there.

It might be the lazy person in me, but I would just get a bright orange or red ball so it stands out against the grass and it's easy for her to spot.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wouldn't use a laser pointer at all. It can cause problems with dogs, mainly being OCD. Once the dog becomes addicted it becomes compulsive and its not easy to untrain.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Your dog sounds like a prime candidate for problems if you decide to pursue this.

Rather than flirt with the potential disaster of developing laser-related OCD, I would simply just go and pick up the ball myself, for a re-throw.

And I'd also teach her a solid 'off-switch'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts