Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a dog a little over a year ago to sort of be a play buddy for my older dog who I've had for 7 years. During their initial meet they didn't hate each other or fight and had a curiosity for each other, but my newer dog prefers to play alone and they generally ignore each other.

The problem is my newer dog Peppers is toy controlling. The shelter warned she was bossy but now she's taken all the toys in the house as her own. Anytime my older dog tries to play with a toy Peppers will come bolting by and grab the toy from her causing my older dog to bark at her and start whining.

My older dog now can't play with any toys as long as Peppers is nearby. Is there any way to get Peppers to stop her control over all the toys? So far I've tried making her sit as my older dog plays but that only last a few seconds before Peppers begins to bark and whine - which causes my older dog to bark and whine.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suggest taking back possession of the toys. Is she aggressive if YOU try to take them away from her? If the answer is yes you are the one who must reclaim those toys. My Chihuahua Goliath used to be very possessive of any toy I gave him. But then I would put my foot on top of the toy he was busy with. He would start barking and biting. Give it 15-20 mins and you'll tire it out. He/she should back away. Repeat as much as necessary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no aggression at all when I take her toys. Just my older dog. I think Peppers simply doesn't like her that much- I didn't realize that when I adopted her.

But I will try this and then give the toy to my older dog. Maybe a variation of your method will work. :) thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your dog isn't really being possessive if it lets you take the toy. I think this has more to do with dog's characters... You'll probably get better answers but I wouldn't let toys lay around in the room when both of them are in it at the same time - you'd be basically asking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Toys are regarded as resources by most dogs. I would do some research on RG and approach the situation with that in mind.

Personally, I prefer to have full control of all resources, myself.

ie: Get a covered toy box, limit the number of toys utilized to only one at any given time. Always ensure interaction between toy + dog + HUMAN. This way, you'll reserve the ability to say when the game starts, when it ends, and you can establish / uphold the general rules of play. If for some reason this can't be done make sure that toys are given to each dog seperately, with a safe and secure place for them to enjoy in peace without fear of the other dog trying to claim it. (inside their respective crates, or in seperate rooms etc.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts