Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Lab/Newfoundland mix, his name is Charlie.

He gets really bad hot spots and i have to put the cone on his head whenever im not around to watch him. He has some how been able to manage getting around to his tail and has chewed it up pretty badly. :(

I have shaved the area and cleaned it really well and thought i would bandage it to keep him from getting to it. That still didn't work, he managed to chew it off and i think he may have swallowed part of it! :eek:

I don't know what else to do since i cant stop him from chewing and the cone is not working...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He needs to go to the vet to figure out why he gets hot spots and possibly get medication to stope the itching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has already been to the vet, they couldn't do anything more than i am already. He has allergies of some sort but i still havent been able to figure out what to.

I recently changed his Diet and it has improved greatly! But he still gets them everyonce in a while.

The thing about it is that he has somehow figured out how to manuver his way around the cone to get to his tail and i cant figure out anything else to do to keep him from getting to it until it heals.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Agreed you need to have a vet check him out and hep find the cause of the hot spots. If he's chewing at them there's a great chance they're are or will get infected and make the problem even worse. The vet or tchs should also be able to sell you a correct sized cone or show you how to properly size it. A properly fitted cone should go past your dogs nose, even when it's set as far back on the neck as it can go. That way if your dog pushes your cone back or turns his head to lick at the sore the cone will still be in his way and prevent him from doing so.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I recently changed his Diet and it has improved greatly! But he still gets them everyonce in a while.
What food was he on and what did you change to?

I agree with animalcraker, the right size cone should work.

Have you seen these? Bite-Not Collar and Pro Collar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the largest size cone and have fitted it an refitted it several times and he still gets around it. He is a big dog! About 120lbs.

Have any of you had any experience with the Bite-Not Collar or Pro Collar? They seem like they might work better than a cone...

He was on Iams Lamb and rice Dry food. I now Have him on a home prepared diet. He gets all kinds of meats including fish, and a wide variety of vegetables. Organic and local as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've not tried the other collars, but if I need one again, I will.

The reason I asked about the food is that I had the same problem with Jaia. He was on a chicken based food and I switched to a venison food and the hot spots stopped completely.

A lot of times, the allergy is to the protein. To discover what the allergy was, I switched to a food with a single protein (venison). I was lucky, I got it on the first try. But the reason I say all this is that it may not be a good idea to feed him "all kinds of meats". Are you still feeding lamb? The Iams has lamb and chicken, so it could be one of those. I'd try removing one of those (chicken) from his diet for a few months and monitor the hot spot situation. If it continues, remove the lamb. If it gets better then add the chicken back in. You could do that with each protein to see what's causing it.

It may NOT be a protein, but I've heard this a lot and have experienced it myself, so that's what I'd try. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the single protein source suggestion. The less things in your dog's diet while you are in the "discovery" stage, the better. May I also suggest a couple of things that worked for us? These are things you can try while you are working on figuring out the source of the allergy. We never did figure out exactly what was causing the itching and hot spot issue but we did do some things to help it discontinue.

We used something called Melagel on the hot spots that the dog could not lick. It is available through melaleuca.com. Basically, it's tea tree oil in a petroleum jelly base. Don't put it where your dog can lick.

We also used a product called Supromega in our dog's food. It's a fish oil supplement that also has natural source vitamin E in it. It is available through dinovite.com. My dog likes it right on his food. Smells a lot like fish but he loves it.

We also tried a total dog food elimination diet for 3 weeks while we used the melagel and the supromega. We used canned salmon, raw egg yolk, rice (but not every time we fed, maybe three times a week). And during this time, we used the powedered supplement that came with the fish oil supplement mixed with this. Also, the first day, we did a water fast for our pup as well.

This really detoxed him and when we reintroduced a single protein dog food (there are quite a few good ones out there that folks have mentioned here and in other threads), he did really well. In 4 weeks, the hair was growing back into the bald patches/spots and the itching was gone.

We keep the Melagel on hand for insect/tick bites but have not had to use it on a hot spot. We continue to feed a venison food, dinovite powder and fish oil. And about once every 3 months, we do a water fast. If I think there's a yeast issue coming up or itching starts, we will do the salmon, rice, raw egg yolk for a few days.

Problems are gone. Skin looks (and smells) great. Hair loss is minimum. All are happy and sleeping through the nite...both the humans and the dog...AHHHHH...sigh

With our particular pup, it's a balancing act but it's nothing near what we used to go through. Not sure where I put the darn cone, it's been so long!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts