Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and Spirit have an understanding that I own several rooms which are off limits. Through doing a "dance" of sorts and other efforts I own my bathroom and my parents room at their house. She stops at the doorway and will not cross that imaginary line without being invited in. I believe that she understands that I've claimed the area and respects that. This works great and offers the people around her some space.

I'd like to expand this concept to small areas of my yard & possibly even people. I have a pile of wood in the yard that I'd like her to stay away from, but I have a hard time owning an area without a doorway or other narrow passage to clearly define the off limit area. I get the feeling that she's confused.

I've also tried to own people (non-dog people), but it's nearly ineffective over time. I've tried "leave it", but that does not last forever in the same way that me "owning" a room does. At best we get an hour without her approaching the person.

Any suggestions? Do any of you own areas or objects?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There is this old shed in my yard that I don't like my boy going in. It took about 3-4 months but he finally got that I didn't want him going in there (it has no door, just 3 walls and a roof). I think what did it was that I NEVER let him in the shed. When he'd get close I'd call him to me or distract him in some way. I think it's just a time and patience thing.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't have areas the dogs aren't allowed, but do a lot of directionals, and markers where the dog has to range out and get on something like a roof shingle, or plastic lid. Maybe you could start by using a visual. A rope or garden hose, chalk line, and teach her not to cross that.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Every time he gets near it, call him and treat. That's what I do with the area around the oven, and kabota doesn't go there anymore, he walks past it to sit by the table.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
How old is he? He may not understand the concept until after 2 yo.

You might try putting down a temporary border, such as some rope.... For people, you'll have to teach them to turn away and to break eye contact...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is he? He may not understand the concept until after 2 yo.
Best guess puts her at 2.5 yrs, but I've owned rooms for almost a year now. When I first got her she absolutely wouldn't cross any doorway regardless of treats or recall. After sometime I finally broke it and limited that to just the bathroom & guest room.

You might try putting down a temporary border, such as some rope.... For people, you'll have to teach them to turn away and to break eye contact...
I'll try a rope. Now I just gotta remember which colors dogs can see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts