Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14wk old Jack Russell, he has a puppy kong, I stuff it with sandwich pastes like chicken or beef, he seems to be able to empty it in about 5mins! How do I make it last longer? Or does he need a different size? Thanks

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
No, I didn't know you where supposed to lol, is it ok to give a pup frozen kong?
Actually ... a frozen Kong helps with teething puppies sore gums. I also use a nylabone made for puppies and freeze it to soothe their gums. :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yes I need to get some nylabones, I will try freezing his kong tonight then. Also what else can I stuff it with?
For my new puppy ... I have frozen a peanut butter "lined" Kong ... very small amount of peanut butter ...with some of her regular softened Kibble in it. I had to make a sudden food change when I got her ... so I don't want to upset her digestive system again. My pup is a tad bit younger (almost 11 weeks)... but I will begin giving some frozen "plain" yogurt mixed with her kibble soon. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a 1 year old JRT and I also line her kong with peanut butter. Then I put a small dog treat in it and cover with raw ground meat (chicken, beef, venison, buffalo) and top with yogurt. Then I freeze it overnight. I'm not sure how long it lasts because she gets it when I leave for work in the morning. I would love to see pics of your Jack. Aren't they the best breed ever? Lola is my 2nd and I will always have one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know he is amazing! My parents have two, I moved out in may, I will always have one too. They have so much character and are very loyal. I need to upload a picture, but right now I'm using my iPad and I can't do it on here. I'm going to make a signature on the computer so you all can see him

·
Registered
36 Posts
I echo the other suggestions. I also stuff a Kong with peanut butter and then wedge in a chunk of meat at the very top, or a milkbone. Wedge it in to the point where you think it's too difficult to work out... the dog will get there. :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I like apple's, I cut off an end then cut the end in half so one edge is flat and the other round, then I stuff that into the Kong, the rounded edge makes it harder to remove. You will have to adjust to the size of your Kong though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know what size of Kong you are using, but try to find a dog treat that barely fits in there. I have two large ones for my dogs, and it takes Mack all day to get the treat out. I have also put in peanut butter and either an apple slice/cubes or baby carrots and then frozen it. Some dogs like apples and carrots, and some do not, so you will have to see what your pup likes. I also put in pieces of beggin strips in there. The treats are wider than the hole in the bottom, so you have to squeeze the Kong to get it in there, but it also makes it difficult for them to get the treat out.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I gave up on kongs years ago because they're too easy. I really like the Squirrel Dude toy made by the company Busy Buddy. It's like a kong, except that there are rubber prongs that face inward to help keep the food in. It lasts my dog several hours, and she empties kongs in seconds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts