Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if my dog is bonded to me? He's a rottie mix, and very loving, but with multiple people in the house, how can I be sure he's bonded with me? I want to take him with me when I head off to college, but not if he's attached to someone else.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Admittedly, this is a concept I have some difficulty understanding. It seems that some people have a need for a dog to be bonded only to them or bonded to them more than other people. I'm actually ok with my dogs loving someone else in the house more than me. I'd prefer they didn't fall absolutely in love with any random stranger who comes to visit, but family members, I'm fine with. My current pup seems to favor my husband over me, which I find incredibly sweet.

In the past, I've always been able to tell who a dog's "favorite" was by who they seemed to miss the most when they were gone for a brief time or who they went to first whenever there was a room full of people. Even so, I would think that even if the dog is bonded to everyone in the family, if you take him to college with you, you two will grow closer.

My bigger concern is...where are you going to live with a Rottie in college? It can be really tough to find an apartment that will rent to someone with that breed or size of dog. Also, will you have enough time for this dog along with college? Is it fair to the dog to take him from the family if he's going to be alone most of the day? Would he get more attention back at home? Which situation would be best for the dog?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Yup college was pretty wild... and random times..... for me .... not compatible to taking care of a dog at all..... We even had a pit bull puppy in our dorm room for a week, it was tough and also not allowed (dog was found at the side of the road abandoned)- luckily my roommate took him home and gave him to his father (dog lived 14 yrs happily in Pumpkin Bend , AR)...
I wish my dog was less bonded to me actually, she just runs away if I leave to go into town (2 or 3 days at a time for work)-- she is fine if she comes with me, but I think its silly for her to be sitting in an apartment while I work 12 hr shifts when she could be on 2 acres in the country with another dog and a flock of hens and my 10yr old daughter to play with....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have actually plotted all that out before I did accept caring for Gonzo. The college is within the state, and the classes I'll be taking are within the evening. My mother also lives there, and she has already approved of me letting him bunk with her at unpredictable moments.
He will also be able to come to my soon-to-be place of a work - which is a dog groomers. So he'd only be alone for the evenings.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I have actually plotted all that out before I did accept caring for Gonzo. The college is within the state, and the classes I'll be taking are within the evening. My mother also lives there, and she has already approved of me letting him bunk with her at unpredictable moments.
He will also be able to come to my soon-to-be place of a work - which is a dog groomers. So he'd only be alone for the evenings.
Id be careful bringing him with you to work. I'm an aspiring groomer myself and I wouldn't bring my bully with me to work. Not all dogs are friendly with other dogs (or with the idea of being groomed lol) and I wouldn't want to make the grooming experience more troublesome then it need be..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Its good to have your mom handy to take him. Part of the learning in college is meeting new people, hanging out, going to parties.... its a good process....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a good point, and I'd have to mull it over. It's not him that I'm worried about considering he doesn't get into other's faces, but probably the dogs that would come in. Anyway, thanks for the tip! It'd give me some thinking to do.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Dogs adapt. Your dog will bond with you if you feed him, walk him, and spend more time with him than anyone else. With a Rott, you want him well-socialized, so that if another dog growls at him, he doesn't eat the other dog. From what I've seen, a well-socialized Rott will not back down if threatened, but will not attack either... only defend to the extent needed. Not sure if that is from socialization or from training.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts