Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm worried we might not be feeding our puppy, Savannah enough each day. She gobbles up what we put down in about 2 minutes flat. She hasn't ever vomited, but I just want to be sure we're feeding her as much as she needs. How can I tell?

She has only been living with us for 4 days. She is a female, Lab Mix at 8-9 weeks old, currently weighs about 8 lbs. Our vet said she thought she might be anywhere from 30-50 lbs at max weight, but it was hard to tell and we'd have a better idea at 16 weeks.

We're feeding her the same food that the shelter we adopted her from was feeding her. It's PurinaOne SmartBlend Healthy Puppy formula wet and dry food. We've been feeding her 2-3 times per day, about 1 cup total of the dry food per day and a couple of heaping tablespoons of the wet food at each meal (about 1/3 of a can per day).

After she gobbled up her food really fast, I put down another 1/4 cup of the dry food to see if she'd go for it and she ate it in about 4 bites. The bag said to feed her 3/4 cup per day of the dry food, but my vet said that seemed a bit low, so she suggested upping it to 1 cup. Even with 1 cup, she doesn't seem satisfied.

How can I tell how much is enough?

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Many Labs would eat the entire bag if they had the chance.

the food you are feeding is roughly 400 calories per cup plus whatever the wet food adds to that. Based on some general dog calorie calculators, she needs around 700-1200 calories per day with being on the lower end of that at 8-9 weeks and the upper end of that at say, 12-14 weeks. But that's just estimates so really, if she's not super skinny and she's growing and gaining a little weight each week, she's probably fine.

You could try feeding her the dry food from a puzzle toy so that she slows down her eating and it is also good mental exercise (and gives the humans a few minutes break :) )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts