Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy is a growth spurt away from being able to jump on the couch. The couch is the safe haven for the cats at the moment.
We are in puppy training. So it is covering the basics. It covers how to not jump up on people for greetings, but not how to keep them off of things.
The jumping just started about 2 weeks ago and I have forgotten to ask the trainer in the last class. How do you keep your puppy from jumping up onto the couch?
I have chosen the word I want to use.
I have done the treat to their nose to make them follow it back off the couch, but it isn't working. I'm definitely being consistent. She just sits there more defiant than ever. We move the cats to higher ground, but she keeps trying to get on the couch. The next growth spurt and she will make it up.
I'm doing positive training only.
I've had some strange unpleasent responses when I've asked elsewhere.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Make being on her bed (or other alternative location) more rewarding than being on the couch and prevent her from getting on the couch as much as possible. The process - in my mind, at least - is similar to potty training: you're building a habit of "I relax here" more than "I don't relax there." Just like with potty training, it's going to take time, patience, and consistency.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with cookieface, having just come out of a couch crises myself.
I would add: increase the reward to the 'off' (or whatever word you use) command. Like something she really, really enjoys and never gets otherwise. This helped with getting Jago off the couch.

·
Banned
83 Posts
You could also use a combination of the techniques mentioned above and direct "intervention". I would suggest saying no instead of off as it will get the dog used to the meaning of the word no so you can use it more widely than off. That said, if he jumps up, just say no sternly and move him off as soon as he hits the ground, praise him. Do that as he jumps up about 20 times so that he knows you don't like him on the couch. If he still does it after saying no and moving him in combination with he above mentioned idea of making other places more rewarding, then you can be a little more disapproving in your tone and move him off a little faster and harder. Even if he were to fall off balance when he hit the ground, keep praising him and don't worry that he didn't land perfectly on his feet. He wasn't uncomfortable, it didn't bother him. He knew he shouldn't, and got "corrected" faster and a little more forcefully than he did before. Another thing you can do, is if he comes when you call him, praise him for not getting on the couch if you're on it, and correct him if he does.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
You could also use a combination of the techniques mentioned above and direct "intervention". I would suggest saying no instead of off as it will get the dog used to the meaning of the word no so you can use it more widely than off. That said, if he jumps up, just say no sternly and move him off as soon as he hits the ground, praise him. Do that as he jumps up about 20 times so that he knows you don't like him on the couch. If he still does it after saying no and moving him in combination with he above mentioned idea of making other places more rewarding, then you can be a little more disapproving in your tone and move him off a little faster and harder. Even if he were to fall off balance when he hit the ground, keep praising him and don't worry that he didn't land perfectly on his feet. He wasn't uncomfortable, it didn't bother him. He knew he shouldn't, and got "corrected" faster and a little more forcefully than he did before. Another thing you can do, is if he comes when you call him, praise him for not getting on the couch if you're on it, and correct him if he does.
No, just, NO. You should NEVER remove a puppy so forcefully they lose their balance and fall over. This is horrible advice and has the potential not only to injure your pup, but to seriously damage your relationship with him. And "No" is a useless word that means nothing to a dog. Using specific commands that tell your dog what you want them to DO, Like "Off" is by far the better method.

OP, you've been given great advice above, please follow that advice, and do NOT follow this post.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
This is Terrible advice.... Borderline abusive..... Possibly criminal....

Even if he were to fall off balance when he hit the ground, keep praising him and don't worry that he didn't land perfectly on his feet.
Yea throw the puppy off the couch.... There is a good one there...

You have no dogs... You have not trained any dogs, you read a book.... About the worst book on dog training you could have possibly read... You have NO idea of what you are talking about. Yet here you are suggesting heavy handed, violent and abusive techniques... On a puppy.

No.... Just No......

And as a side note... It is not better to use a generalized term for a situation like this..... Off is a MUCH better command... If you had trained any dogs you would know this.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
This person has never owned, nor trained, a dog. For which we should all be thankful.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Okay, it was kind of funny when the Koehler Teen was confined to their own thread, but now they're trying to give actual training advice in other people's threads? Uncool. OP, you can safely skip every one of SlabGizor117's posts. They don't own a dog, have in fact never owned a dog, and have based all of their training "knowledge" on books so old and crappy that even so-called "balanced" trainers won't use the techniques. They have a 20-page thread here where not one single person has agreed with them, if that tells you anything. Listen to the people who know what they are doing and have given you good advice here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. Well luckily the next day it finally clicked with her. We are using "off."
We aren't using "no" for any part of her vocabulary.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would agree with the advice to ignore that post... NOT the best methods. Also... "off" is MUCH more useful than "no" in this situation. "Off" can also easily transition to other things like jumping on people, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts