Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought him Paw Naturaw--which is ground up chicken and bone because he has a hard time being motivated enough to chew through the bone. Its expensive and he's chewed through half of his bully stick so I figured its time to give him some raw meaty bones and see what he does with it. He doesn't really know what to do with a whole piece of chicken, he licks it and then loses interest in it, and two hours later Im giving him his ground up food because he needs to eat. How do I get him to be more motivated to get to the bone? If I sit with him and help him get the chicken meat off the bone he'll eat it, but he's accidentally bit my fingers while I was holding the bone for him and it hurt. Once he's gotten all the meat off, he'll chew the bone for a minute or two and lose interest. Ive tried chicken wings and drumsticks.

THanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try the breast, smaller easier to chew bones. Cut down to the bone in several places so it is easy to tear meat off and as soon as he is having a good time chewing let go of the meat so he can figure it out on his own. I had to do the cutting of the meat even with my experienced dog on a new complicated piece of meat, it really helps. If the piece is too large he is probably full and doesn't need to chew any more. That is tricky as you need to feed a piece he must chew and not swallow whole!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe he just doesnt like that type of meat? Try marrow bones, or even pork ribs if you can find them on sale.

Give him time, It'll figure it out as some point ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts