Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we've had Henry a few weeks now and we want to take him further afield. Maybe we did things wrong but for the journey home from the breeder (around 3 hours) we had him on the passenger's lap.

Then when I took him to the vets the first time I put him on the passenger seat with a car harness (car is 2 seater - no back seat option) and he escaped several times during the 2 mile drive!

So we got a travel crate over 2 weeks ago and we have left it around the house with treats and toys - he's been perfectly happy to go inside, play, etc.

We have made a few short trips where he has been on the passenger's lap again but today I tried him in the travel crate in the passenger seat for the first time. I put his favourite toy in plus some treats and he was eager to get in (pushing m out of the way!) whilst it was on the hall floor. I closed the door and carried it to the car - all OK. I closed the car door and he whined a little but seemed OK when I got in beside him and gave him more treats.

I drove out of the garage and he started to cry / scream so I gave him more treats. He stopped to eat the treats then started to cry / scream again so I turned the car round at the earliest opportunity and returned home. We covered a mile at most and he only stopped screaming to eat the treats.

I'm really not sure where to go from here because I need to be able to take him out in the car so any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
When we brought Hamilton home from the shelter, he was a quiet little angel the whole hour home. He wasn't quiet in the car again for months. He has always been crated in the car, every time from the time we brought him home, so that didn't change. He would let off the most ear piercing shrieks and screams, it wasn't even barking, it was wailing. He liked BEING places, he just didn't like getting there. The sound was so high pitched it was like someone was driving a spike into my brain. He once screamed until he puked. I was really glad he was crated that day...

I tried giving him treats, toys, special things, no help. Brought his crate into the house and fed him all his meals in it, and it was fine in the house, but bring it out to the car? Screaming dog! I just sucked it up and forced myself to drive around with him every day. There were days it was so bad it would have me in tears, but I kept doing it, and over time it got better. Now we can drive hours with him and he just curls up and goes to sleep. You tell him to get in his box, and he jumps in the back seat, goes into his crate, turns around and waits for you to shut the door. Sometimes he gets excited and whimpers, especially when he figures out where we are, but usually he just chills.

·
Registered
124 Posts
From everything I've seen on dog training lately and within this forum is to ignore the bad, reward the good. It seems like you did we'll...up until he whined in the car.

You said he whined and/or screamed and you treated, which seems to be a no-no with training.

Depending on the volume/high pitched-ness of your pup's whine I'm sure it could be mega ear splitting...but ignore it. At least until he stops! That's the time to offer a good about of praise and something tasty!

I know it's worked with my own puppy. He might whine for ten seconds at first in the car crate, but then he'll settle right down. Usually to nap for the whole duration of wherever we happen to be going!

Hopefully someone else responds to give you more advice, that might be even better!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and also for pointing out the obvious which was staring me in the face but I was too stressed out to see - I was basically rewarding him for screaming - arghh!
This morning he's had his final booster so I'm giving him a day off but tomorrow I'll try again - just round the block (maybe I'll wear earmuffs or play a loud CD lol!) then treats and a walk once we get back.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would put him in the crate, sit in the car (not moving), and let him cry it out, then let him out of the crate when he's quiet. He probably just wanted to be out and near you, and I don't think treating helped.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thanks for the advice and also for pointing out the obvious which was staring me in the face but I was too stressed out to see - I was basically rewarding him for screaming - arghh!
This morning he's had his final booster so I'm giving him a day off but tomorrow I'll try again - just round the block (maybe I'll wear earmuffs or play a loud CD lol!) then treats and a walk once we get back.
When we gave Ham treats in the car, they'd already be in the crate when he got there, so he wasn't being GIVEN treats, they were just sort of there in the crate because the car crate is awesome!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we gave Ham treats in the car, they'd already be in the crate when he got there, so he wasn't being GIVEN treats, they were just sort of there in the crate because the car crate is awesome!
Actually I tried putting treats in the crate whilst it was in the hallway but he just barged his way in before I got the chance! Will have to try to get things set up out of his sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts