Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is 3 months and has zero interest in walking. The sec I bring her outside she just faceplants and is done. She rests for 10 minutes gets up walks a bit poops and pees and then faceplants. This is all the time even on her first walk of the day. I thought it was 10 minutes per month. I like to circle an entire Block with her but it takes about 30-45 min to get up half a block. No if I want to turn around and go home she sprints all the way home.. Today I carried her around the block cuz it had been 45 min already. When I came around to our block she sprinted. Any ideas? Thks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
First, make sure your puppy as all her shots before taking her on walks where other dogs have been.

Secondly, be persistent. If you need to, carry treats and encourage her as you're walking. Praise her with a happy voice when she's walking if she likes happy voices (some dogs don't).

My dogs didn't walk well on their leash as puppies, either. However, I worked at it everyday until they got the idea.

It just takes patience, encouragement, and praise+treats.

Good luck! =]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has had 2 rounds of shots and is due for her next round this weekend. We visited the vet last wknd and I would think she would have mentioned something like this to us if she felt the dog should not be out. She had her chart and paperwork and knew where she was at with her shots.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My puppy went through this phase too. from about 4-6 months old. He didn't want to get more than 2 houses away in any direction! he would stop and dig in. NOT. GOING. sigh. so I just let him walk as far as he liked then went the other direction. He got better after a while, but was still bad on a leash, pulling and such. I got an "EZ dog" harness, and puppy school and now I can walk him with one finger on the leash. He walks at my pace right by my side.

In summary (lol) I would let the phase happen, she may not want to be far from home just yet. Also, get into puppy classes for basic obedience. it helps with leash work and confidence.

oh and like Nuclear said.. carry treats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts