Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mildly irritated at this. I have a dog who is quasi/semi/somewhat housebroken. He's fine in the house, stays out of trouble and when he needs to go he gets up and goes to the door. If I see him, I let him out and all is right with the world. If I don't see him, his next move is not to come get me, not to bark, not to scratch the door, or hold it, his next move is to find a spot far from his crate and pee on the floor. I know I could train him to bark, scratch, ring a bell, etc..., but this doesn't solve the main problem. If I'm not there to let him out, he pees on the floor. I know he has no problems holding it because I can put him in his crate (a crate that's much larger than what he needs) and he'll hold it for 8-9 hours straight with no problems. He won't do the thing where a dog will pee in one side of the crate and sleep in the other (although he has plenty of room to do this). The problem seems to be that if he has to go and can't get anyone to let him out that he pees in the house. How can I get him to hold it in the house the way he holds it in his crate?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time and patience. You're on the right track.
What track is that? Currently I just let him out when he goes to the door or I keep him crated. I'd like to be able to let him wander the house unsupervised at times. I could train him to ring a bell or something to let me know to let him out and accomplish this while I'm at home. It doesn't do me a lot of good if I'm not there though. He would ring the bell, no one would show up and he'd pee on the floor again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm facing the exact situation with my 6 month old puppy. i hope someone can give us some good tips. (sorry i have no answers for you..just wanted to empathize. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I'm not there to let him out, he pees on the floor.
Don't allow that situation to happen. Keep an eye on him at all times. Leash him to your belt, if necessary. When he starts to pull to the door, go with him. If you can't, then watch him until you can. If you see him starting to make the motions like he's going to go, give him an "Ah ahh!" orrection, then take him quickly out to the right spot. Click, treat, etc.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't allow that situation to happen. Keep an eye on him at all times. Leash him to your belt, if necessary. When he starts to pull to the door, go with him. If you can't, then watch him until you can. If you see him starting to make the motions like he's going to go, give him an "Ah ahh!" orrection, then take him quickly out to the right spot. Click, treat, etc.
I've done that and that's great. Like I said, he's now at the point where his default behavior isn't "pee where ever I happen to be." His default behavior when he has to go is, "Go to the door and go outside." This is awesome. If I had a dog dog, he'd probably go right out it and all would be right with the world. If he's in his crate, his logic seems to be, "Gotta go, can't pee here, must wait to be let out." What can I do to make that his logic when he's out of the crate too?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I know I could train him to bark, scratch, ring a bell, etc..., but this doesn't solve the main problem.
You have an unusual way of looking at things. He went to the door...basically he's telling you he needs to go out by doing that....but, you didn't do your part of opening the door.
I don't understand why you're opposed to teaching him to bark at the door...that's the next logical (and easy) step in the trainng.

·
Registered
673 Posts
mine has never caught on to barking , ringing the bell or anything to go out, she just stopped doing it in the house and I have to let her in and out all day whenever she wants

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have an unusual way of looking at things. He went to the door...basically he's telling you he needs to go out by doing that....but, you didn't do your part of opening the door.
I don't understand why you're opposed to teaching him to bark at the door...that's the next logical (and easy) step in the trainng.
The problem is what to do when I'm not home. If I'm gone during the day, I would like to leave him out in the house instead of just crated or in the yard. I don't have that option right now as if no one is around, he'll just pee on the floor.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's not possible to train this if no one is there. Crating or confining can help.
When I was gone for 9 hours a day I confined my pups to the laundry room instead of their crates. The creramic tile floor was easy cleanup and we worked on the potty training during evenings/weekends.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
You have one choice. Crate the dog when you are not there. Sorry. I know that is not what you want to hear.

BTW the dog will be fine.

Is this your Bassett Hound BTW? If so, you already KNOW the answer.

Dog: "Hmm.. I need to go but no one is around. I COULD hold it but it would feel better not to.. so let me find a place to go..."
(sound of shuffling feet... silence.. sound of runningwater...)
Dog: "Ahhh.. so much better... Now I will go back and take a nap..."

Yeah.. crate crate crate... Sorry...
(I have to do this.. I cannot help myself.. I cannot).. See what happens when you go out and get those CHICK MAGNET DOGS??????? :p

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have one choice. Crate the dog when you are not there. Sorry. I know that is not what you want to hear.

BTW the dog will be fine.

Is this your Bassett Hound BTW? If so, you already KNOW the answer.

Dog: "Hmm.. I need to go but no one is around. I COULD hold it but it would feel better not to.. so let me find a place to go..."
(sound of shuffling feet... silence.. sound of runningwater...)
Dog: "Ahhh.. so much better... Now I will go back and take a nap..."

Yeah.. crate crate crate... Sorry...
(I have to do this.. I cannot help myself.. I cannot).. See what happens when you go out and get those CHICK MAGNET DOGS??????? :p
No, it's the cocker spaniel. The basset is rarely free in the house as he is nothing but trouble. I still have not been able to teach him not to tip over the trash can and dig through it and I turned my back one time and he literally had his head inside the dog food sack and was going to town. I pulled him out and his response was, "I am nearly starved. I'm never fed and wasting away. What did you expect me to do?" My reply was, "You just ate two cups of kibble 15 minutes ago and the vet says you're 5 lbs overweight!" Dog's reply, "I don't see how any of that is relevant."

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Well, the answer still applies to the Cocker Spaniel... and I know it is NOT what you want to hear. Sorry.

No.. wait.. Here is an idea. Get an Xpen and gradually increase the area the dog is allowed in. That might work. You might NEVER graduate to the whole house but you MIGHT graduate to a room. Without carpet. Just an idea. My little cousin (when she was ten or so) had a Cocker and Ilva (the dog) could never be completely trusted to go outside.

... another "Chick Magnet" dog???

And they are. Really. Ten year old Girls LOVE them!

What this dog is doing is proving to all that there really IS a man who will clean up after the dog. If you do dishes and vacuum and dust.. do laundry and let the lady have a Girls Night Out.. and will ask for Directions.. you ARE perfect. ;)

Bassetts and Beagles and Montain Lions have no limit to their food intake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Trust me when I say that the number one mistake dog and puppy owners make in housetraining is giving what I call Un-earned Freedom. Try this different way of thinking about things: Any dog that has potty accidents in the house is not "somewhat, quasi, or semi housetrained" they are simply Not Housetrained. It's all or nothing on housetraining.
For the time being you will need to confine your dog when you are gone, but with patience and consistency, you may one day be able to allow that freedom.... once it is earned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts