Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experimenting with different high quality brands for my picky dog Buddy. After feeding him Pedigree for 4 years I've narrowed down my choices to three brands which are Acana, Merrick, and Wellness. These are the only three brands that buddy will eat.

I buy the 30lb bags which last about a month. I would like to rotate Buddy and my other dogs on the three brands mentioned after every bag runs out. Since he’s already ate all three brands do I have to transition him every time I’m about to rotate or can I start on the new rotation right away?

The reason I ask is because I hate going through all the mixing and trying to calculate when exactly should I start buying the next rotational food. Things are a lot easier if I can just start the new brand rotation without transitioning.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I constantly rotate my dogs diet. I always wait until a bag is 1/2 gone ... and then start adding the new rotation food slowly. I do this on an every couple to three month or so basis. I just make sure to have both bags of food ... the current food and the new food on hand at the same time. This way every half bag I know to begin rotation if they are different brands. This takes the guess work out of it for me. I always do this to avoid stomach and intestinal upsets.

I do not know if I rotate all too often or not often enough ... but it works for my dogs. :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Some dogs can just go from one food to another with no issues; some have to transition. It all depends on your dogs.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Yeah, depends on the dog. Casper usually eats Nature's Variety Instinct or Acana and can switch back and forth with no issues. When Crystal used to eat Taste of the Wild, I would sometimes feed Casper that when his food was running low, too. Crystal's stomach can't handle switching like that and I need to mix for her.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I 'rotate' in that my dogs get different food often. I do real raw, premade raw, kibble, canned. Each day could be something different just depending. Each bag I buy I buy different. I never transition them and they do fine. My guys can handle pretty much anything I give them without any upset tummy at all.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Snowball appears to be able to switch without any issues at all. When we brought him home, we tried transitioning from iams (which is what he got at the shelter) to Kirkland and he flat-out stopped eating the iams. Our food-oriented dog would actually pick around it so we just stopped giving it to him and he didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I had to very slowly transition my old GSD mix, but my current dog has intestines of steel, which is good considering what he's gotten into just out on walks.

Remember to switch proteins with each bag. Never follow chicken with chicken, follow with fish or venison, etc. and read labels. Blue diamond duck contains chicken, for example.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine also get something different every meal. and I feed, canned, homecooked, kibble, dehydrated, raw... and anything else I feel like. I went from having a dog (Oliver) who could not tolerate anything different, to a dog (again Oliver) who can eat ANYTHING without getting sick (and 2 that never had any issues to begin with)

·
Registered
242 Posts
i do a rotation of these Acana foods. wild prairie, grasslands, pacifica, ranchlands, and chicken and burbank potato. i switch every other bag and transition my dogs over a 5 day period because one of my dogs is a little sensitive but the other has a cast iron stomach.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I plan to start rotating protein sources on each bag in the future. Every food change I've done so far with Jubel I've never taken more than a week tops to make the transition. I could probably switch him cold turkey with no issuse, he has a pretty strong stomach.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I rotate our dogs food every other bag.I have 4 different breeds of dogs that ages range from 10 months to 12 years,never had a stomach upset issue.Normally the grain free foods and 5 star rated foods you can rotate with no problem.The protein and fat is what you don't want to vary from to drastic,that can cause stomach upset.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts