Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

How do I crate train?

798 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  animalsafe 
#1 ·
Ok so I have had my puppy for almost 3 weeks and have not even tried to put him in the crate. He gets free roam during the day and when I cant watch him I put him in my room with the baby gate up. I would like to crate train him for when we leave the house or go on vacation and he needs to be at some one elses house. How do I start? I never leave the house and when I do my husband is home with the kids so he is never really left alone. Thank you for any advise.

#4 · (Edited)
Keeping in mind every dog is different of course and no one rule always applies to all dogs in gaining resolution. Also take into consideration any health issues.

The critical thing for me was in my understanding of the process was.

1. establish a intial conditioning foundation that is simple and easy for the dog to associate,fair,clear,consistant and somewhat more predictable.

2. intially control the food/water (feeding) time and duration of availability.

3. intially manage the dog in a way that helps the dog make the best choice in when and where to pee/potty by use of the crate.

The dog hopefully intially learns that it will be let out shortly after feeding/drinking and does not need to soil it's living/eating space then that is good. It also hopefully learns that untill it does so certain privilages will be restricted. As this process becomes more learned by the dog the idea is to allow the dog more free time to roam. The dog must always be allowed to go into the designated area after feeding or drinking and this process helps determine and condtion the dog to do so. Adding rewards can help with the dog letting you know when it needs to go out. It is important to follow the steps for roaming freedom or else it makes it that much harder when the dog does not do the desired thing.. Freedom needs to be earned in this case..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.