Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this elsewhere and thought it was an interesting question. How did you pick the name for your dog?

We had several name ideas picked out when we were starting to consider getting a dog. We actually had it narrowed down to 2 or 3.

We ended up adopting our puppy from a shelter over the 4th of July... at that point our predetermined names just didn't seem to fit and we came up with the name Independence in honor of the 4th of July. We call her Indy for short.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Funny story. However don't like the names :( Here's the story my younger brother who has down syndrome who has a weird funny humor which will never fade in time. He likes this movie called the shining wherethere the actor name Jack Nicholson in the movie he goes "Herrrre's Johnny" so my brother has asked to name a black dog to say HERRRRRE'S JOHNNY. I'm not fan of name nor the movie so that's how it stick

Another one my mom picked name Frankie reason b/c their used to be a song called Frankie & Johnnie

so there you go you got the story of my two dog's names

If I had a choice to name both dogs? Would of been between Eva, Anko

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Belle is named after the lead female character in Beauty and the Beast. Penny is named after one of the puppies in Disney's 101 Dalmations.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Badger was named that because he looked like a fat chubby muscle solid badger when he was a puppy, he also has white on his chin and his chest like a badger and grey hairs through out his coat like a badger.

Me and my mother named our scotty Casey, because we both liked the name and it is a very scottish name. It suits him to a T.

Now my SO and I named our 15 week old Westie pup Teagan, because we both really liked the name. I did write down a whole bunch of names but non suited her. And I have never heard of another dog called Teagan, so we thought it was pretty unique. My parents hate the name but whatever its our Baby Girl and not theirs, they are only the grandparents they have no say in names ha ha

·
Registered
743 Posts
Buck was named so because when we got him I had just finished reading Call of the Wild. In Jake's case... I really liked the name. I'd been planning and planning and compiling a list of names for my dog and when I met him the name just seemed to click.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
When my husband was little he used to carry around a stuffed Saint Bernard he called Buster. It was only fitting that when we were trying to find names for our boy that we go back to childhood favorites...We've both wanted a Saint Bernard since we were kids.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Butch and Roxxy were already named when I got them, so it was easier to keep them. Besides, when I'm at the park and I use Butch's full name...Butch Cassidy..everyone gets a kick out of it. He is, after all, only 13#!!! But it gets his attention! :D

Mortimer the Attack Cat came from Harry Potter...the CAT who could not be named, morphed into Voldemort and ended up Mortimer....Mortimer J. Snerd when he's in trouble. Roxxy's the only one who has a single name. :p

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Brutus came with his name. I couldn't come up with any ideas at all for the other guy so I named him after the number of names I came up with.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Peanut was thought up by the EQ2 community. Abbadon is the name of a ship in the game Eve.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hubby and I just finished college, and Jaegermeister is a liquor that we like- so we named our puppy Jaeger, and when he poops its a JaegerBomb :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cara and Mia are littermates. CaraMia means My beloved in Italian. It just worked.

Jaia and B'asia, I made 'em up. I liked Maia and Asia, but I wanted really unique names, so I just messed with the letters a bit.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When we went to the breeder and picked out our pup, we were unable to bring her home right away (it was Christmas, and we were away) so she stayed with the breeder for an extra week.

We spent that entire week coming up with names. The ones I loved (Copper and Coda, in particular) the DH hated, and the name he wanted (Maple :p) I loathed. We just started throwing names out, back and forth, until we FINALLY settled on Libby. It honestly came out of nowhere, and neither of us can remember who thought of it in the first place! So many people ask if we named her after the Lost character (no), the brand of canned beans (no?!) or if we are Jewish (NO!)

But the name fits!

·
Registered
55 Posts

I passed this boy four weeks in a row at the shelter each time thinking he was certain to find a home. The forth week I stopped by his cage, he showed similar characteristics to one of my dogs who I loved dearly and had passed a year prior. Barney had a way of giving paw where he crossed his chest and cocked his head rather than extendeding his paw. This dog did that and I found myself completing an application to adopt. Call me nuts but it seemed like a sign to me. After completing the application I was told that he was down to his last day. That was the start to a wonderful beginning. I wanted an endearing name. And that is "Howie" ended up with another dog. Ummm...50 pound dog cat mix? He loves his window :)

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I always name my dogs after desserts. It's light hearted and makes me happy. It also makes people smile when I tell them their names. My Shih Tzu is named Gingerbread and my Chihuahua is named Peanut. My mice are Icing and Frosting.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Peanut was thought up by the EQ2 community. Abbadon is the name of a ship in the game Eve.
I loved playing EQ2...I should get back into it...lol

Anyway, I've told this a million times...but I'll tell it again...lol...Eddie is named after Eddie VanHalen and Uallis is actually "Wallace" with a Gaelic spelling...and my boyfriend has the surname Wallace in his ancestry.

All of our pets, dogs and cats, are always given "human" names...I don't know why but both my boyfriend and I both feel that way...and they are all named after someone...or given that name for a reason.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My husband had wanted a dog named Arff (yes, with 2 f's. I don't know why!) since he was little, and although he had several dogs growing up, he was always voted down when it came to naming them. When we decided to get a dog, he told me I could pick out any dog I wanted, but we had to name him Arff.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I planned to name a Dachshund Smalls for as long as I can remember, because of the sandlot. I thought it would be cute to say "You're killing me, Smalls!" Obviously Smalls isn't a Dachshund, but it fits her VERY well.
Jack McCoy is from Law and Order. I love Law and Order.
Jonas is my favorite boy name. Since I'll never have kids, it went to my little man.

·
Registered
335 Posts
With Lucy, we went through a bunch of names and it's the only one that seemed to suit her. I hated the name, but after searching countless lists, I had to admit that she just looked like a Lucy; I couldn't picture calling her anything else.

Juno, once again, it's the only one that seemed right to say. It kind of worked out too... Juno in the movie is a bit of a wild child, and my Juno is pretty crazy as well :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts