Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how all the groomers on here go started grooming? I would love to be a groomer. I'm quitting my job this coming fri. but still working at an animal hospital in the evenings. I know some people have advised others to find someone to train them. How much do people usually charge to teach you to groom?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I went to an expensive grooming school that was 3 months long and included all my own tools. It cost me $6000 with everything. I don't regret it though because I worked with someone who learned from her mother how to groom and was grooming for 5 years but knew only half of what I did and could only brush and shave dogs. I think most of it is a drive to learn too though since I am always learning new things.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to an expensive grooming school that was 3 months long and included all my own tools. It cost me $6000 with everything. I don't regret it though because I worked with someone who learned from her mother how to groom and was grooming for 5 years but knew only half of what I did and could only brush and shave dogs. I think most of it is a drive to learn too though since I am always learning new things.
that would be great but I don't think there are any schools like that around me plus I don't think I could afford something like that. I start college in 4 months and I had to get a federal pell grant for that, lol. money is really tight around here.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Sometimes you can find a groomer who is willing to apprentice you. Thats what I did. I did not pay for it, but worked there for free until I "graduated" to doing dogs on my own. Generally, you start as a bather/brusher, and work up from there. Some groomers will charge you a fee to teach you, and may have you sign a contract that you will work there for X amount of time, or have you sign a no-compete contract. With you starting college in a few months, I don't think this is feasible for you. Learning to groom takes ALOT longer than a few months..as least if you are going to be good at it, and do anything other than a shavedown. I don't see someone taking the time to teach you, when you aren't going to be available to work for them since you are about to go to college, but you can call around.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes you can find a groomer who is willing to apprentice you. Thats what I did. I did not pay for it, but worked there for free until I "graduated" to doing dogs on my own. Generally, you start as a bather/brusher, and work up from there. Some groomers will charge you a fee to teach you, and may have you sign a contract that you will work there for X amount of time, or have you sign a no-compete contract. With you starting college in a few months, I don't think this is feasible for you. Learning to groom takes ALOT longer than a few months..as least if you are going to be good at it, and do anything other than a shavedown. I don't see someone taking the time to teach you, when you aren't going to be available to work for them since you are about to go to college, but you can call around.
well, I still planned on doing it after I start college.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
well, I still planned on doing it after I start college.
Thats great then, if you taking nite classes or such, and can still work 8am til 3,4,5pm, etc. 5-6 days a week. Most groomers that take the time to train someone want something in return...not just money, as they don't want to train their competition. They want the apprentice to work for them, extensively, for a lengthy period of time. I don't train people to groom because its just not worth it IMO. It takes ALOT of time away from me grooming and making money in order to teach someone. I hope you can find someone to help you out though. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I apprenticed under an experienced groomer. I got paid to do it and was able to buy my equipment over time instead of spending 3k all at once.. he he...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I learned from a groomer with 25 years experience. I had to bathe and brush out for a year with dogs of all temperaments and sizes. This was invaluable because handling / reading the dog is just as important as well as grooming skills and talent. That was 17 years ago :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts