Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for ideas for a good hiding spot for my dog when it thunders (I've posted about her freaking out) and found this: http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2012/02/23/diy-dog-a-modern-pet-crate-coffee-table/

I am so doing this, since I also need a new coffee table! Rather than a door I will make a bull's eye, so she can fly in there when it starts to rumble. The other side will be for remotes and book storage. Can't wait to show my husband and go to Homedepot this weekend. It will be a fun project for sure.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Home Depot won't have plywood of that quality. You'll have to go to a fine lumber place and gawk at the prices - it ain't cheap, but probably cheaper than a nice store-bought coffee table. It is a nice idea though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. We have an old table with two wood plates we could use as well probably. My husband would know more if it would work. I wouldn't mind lesser quality wood though and paint it black and upholster the top with some awesome fabric I bought and use some padding underneath. We had an ottoman for years and love to put our feet up when we watch a movie :).

·
Registered
145 Posts
really cool, thanks for sharing. I actually make stuff like this all the time, just with 2x4s and regular half inch plywood, but i sand, fill, paint them and they end up snazzy. I'll upload some pics of my creations one of these days. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
145 Posts
made this thing last week with some left over wood and the cushion from an old chair I threw out. If the cats feeling social, she's on top, if not, she's inside. She loves the thing too, which isn't always a given when you make things for your pets, the stupid creatures don't always appreciate the time and effort!!!
I have something like this in every room for my cat to escape the dog (even though he's great with her) because I want her to feel comfortable and don't want to worry when I go out.

Ill post some pics of other creations when I get a chance to take some

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
made this thing last week with some left over wood and the cushion from an old chair I threw out. If the cats feeling social, she's on top, if not, she's inside. She loves the thing too, which isn't always a given when you make things for your pets, the stupid creatures don't always appreciate the time and effort!!!
I have something like this in every room for my cat to escape the dog (even though he's great with her) because I want her to feel comfortable and don't want to worry when I go out.

Ill post some pics of other creations when I get a chance to take some

I love this! I am going to have to show it to my Dad ... he is always making stuff too. That would be great for the dogs during thunderstorms I believe! You did a good job!

The coffee table idea is awesome also. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Oh no...this thread is making me want to rearrange everything in my house! I love the the coffee table crate and the little kitty hiding place!

·
Registered
145 Posts
in the process of making this monstrosity in the hall, it's got a cool little cat getaway all along the bottom part that she gets in through through the bottom shelf, with a litter box at the end section and a cool secret panel to clean it with. Sorry, I am a nerd for this stuff. Gonna do like a wood stain or something

hosting images

Can't get the pictures to go in the opposite order, rrr. This contraption is heavy as anything, would never fit out of this apartment, and would survive nuclear war. Those two sideways facing shelves I keep the stuff I take to walk the dog. If you have a small space or apartment or something, it is sometimes helpful to keep the dog treats/food/toys and stuff outside of the kitchen if you don't want your dog to expect anything from you when you when you are eating there.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is just super awesome! What a great idea! :) Maybe you should think about putting a patent on some of your creations?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts