Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when my husband took my 12 weeks old Wheaten Terrier out to do his business, he refused his treat. Then, after our morning walk, he didn't eat either. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Any other symptoms? Not eating can be a sign of illness but this is usually accompanied by other symptoms. What kind of foods have you tried feeding him so far?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any other symptoms? Not eating can be a sign of illness but this is usually accompanied by other symptoms. What kind of foods have you tried feeding him so far?
This. Pay close attention to his stool, behavior and any other signs of illness for verification. If noticed, a vet visit may be in order. Otherwise see how he does the rest of the day.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
My dogs are food-obsessed, so if they dont eat, I worry. But not all are like that. Watch for signs that he has any pain, watch his poop, and most important, listen to your gut instinct.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If your puppy normally wolfs down his food, then there could be a problem. Or maybe not. Has it been hotter lately? Dogs generally aren't as hungry when it's hot. My parents' dogs won't eat breakfast on particularly hot days. My puppy has days when she eats right away and days when she lollygags around, plays with her food, and only eats if I pour the kibble on the carpet (then, I suppose, the kibble becomes more interesting to her).

Like others said, you should watch for signs of pain, lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. And a vet visit is always a great option.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Another thing to watch for is signs of an ear infection. Aidan has had 2 yeast infections in his ears. Look for scratching and for little brown spots inside his ear and on the inside of his ear flaps. The vet gave me some ointment to put in his ears and it cleared right up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the false alarm. Towards the end of the day, he started eating.

Indy is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diet Sweet Potato and Chicken. He has always been a finicky eater. The only way I can get him to eat his food is if I put it in the Kongs. He refuses to eat if his food is in his stainless steel bowl. He is somehow afraid of the bowl. Everytime he sees it, he backs away. But, he has no issues with the water bowl which looks almost the same as the food bowl. However, his water bowl is clipped to the side of exercise pen. Maybe this makes a difference? Anyway, I was thinking the bowl is too deep and switched to a much shallower dish. Again, he won't eat from it unless the food is transferred to a Kong. Even when he eats, he never finishes his 1/3 cup of food. I feed him 3 times a day and I'll be lucky if he eats 2/3 cup of food the whole day. However, he does LOVE chicken (cooked in chicken broth) which I give him during training. He does seem to drink a lot of water. I fill the water bowl to a little over half. Most nights, he will have just a little on the bottom of the bowl. We do treat him when he poops or pees, but, only 1 or 2 pieces of treats. His treat is his food mixed with freeze dried liver and a Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Snack Sweet Potato and Fish.

About a week and a half ago, his stool started to get softer. His morning stools will be firm. But, his later stools will be wet looking. Towards the end of the day, his stool would be loose. This had started on Wed 8/3. By Sat 8/6, his morning stool was definitely diarreah. We took him to the vet. The vet examine him and said there is no bloating or pain. I mentioned that he was chewing on grass and different things and the vet thinks it might be an upset stomach. He gave us Fast Balance GI Nutrient Suspension. I voiced my concern about Indy not eating enough. But, the vet said he grew from 5.6 lbs to 7.9 lbs in 3 weeks. Therefore, Indy is eating enough.

Unfortunately, since the 8/6 vet visit, Indy's PM stool still occasionally runs loose. The doc says if he is does not have firm stools by the time we see him again, we may have to consider changing his food. I still wonder if his loose stool is due to the amount of water he is drinking. He stool can run from wet to solid within a couple of hours. Because of this loose stool problem, I was concerned when he didn't eat in the AM till early afternoon. Now, he is eating...even though it is in small amounts. Thanks everyone for helping.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RoughCollie: My breeder initially gave all the pups Natural Balance regular formula. She said their stools were too loose. So, she switched to the LID (Sweet Potato and Chicken). We started giving him chicken when we started puppy school. But only when he is in school or when we are training him at home. The trainer said we have to give some sort of high valued soft food (I guess so that he can chew it quickly). What do you give Aidan as a treat?

In the AM, Indy normally won't eat. He will watch me prep his food (putting it in the Kongs) while wagging his tail. When I put it down in his crate, he normally smells it then walk away. I will play with him a little, then shake the Kongs to entice him to eat. Sometimes he will eat. For example, this morning, he ate only 1/4 cup of food. The only time he shows any enthusiasm for food is if it is real chicken. He will be wagging his tail furiously and even jumping up to get the food. He also welcomes the Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Snack (Sweet Potato and Chicken) or the freeze dried liver (definitely not as much as the chicken). Even though I bought a big container of liver, I don't give it to him that often since liver is a filtering organ and I have no idea what is still in it. What are you feeding Aidan?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have a variety of treats for Aidan: rabbit fillets, duck fillets, venison strips, ZiwiPeak venison dog food, freeze-dried liver, and Pup-Peroni out of desperation. At home, I use the freeze-dried liver (cut into tiny pieces) for training sessions, with no problem at all. I use the strips and fillets for treats when I want Aidan to calm down and go into his ex-pen. I had never bought fillets and strips before, and I didn't realize that Aidan would take forever (in training) to eat them, even when they are cut up into small pieces.

The trainer said to bring a high value treat to class that we don't use anywhere else. As we've gone through the weeks, I've tried everything in my arsenal, plus hot dogs, chicken, beef, green beans, carrots, string cheese, Natural Balance Dog Food Rolls, various Zukes treats, and Aidan could care less. The trainer gave him Pup-Peroni and he loved it and for two classes, it worked. I take three different treats to class each time, hoping that Aidan will pay attention to at least one of them when he is distracted. I don't buy peanut butter treats any more because he won't eat them.

A couple of weeks ago, I cut up a pork chop into tiny pieces for training. Last week, that didn't work. His class is during his dinner time, and I don't feed him before we go, so he will be hungry and the treats will work reliably. Anyway, I think part of the problem is that we live in the country, and there aren't many distractions here - tractors, holes, underbrush, a stream, trees, and the ground are about it. He ignores everything else - there are a hundred dairy cows right across the street, and I don't think he has noticed them yet because his nose is always on the ground.

Basically, lots of different treats work at home, but when Aidan is in a high-distraction environment, they don't. I don't advise using Pup-Peroni btw, because they have soy grits, sugar, and salt in them.

I feed him TOTW dry food, mixed with something, usually, so he will enthusiastically enjoy his meals. He will eat it plain. I mix it with plain yogurt, or a scrambled egg, or ZiwiPeak venison dog food, The Honest Kitchen, or Merrick Puppy Plate, or other high quality canned food. If we are having something for dinner that is suitable, I'll put some of that on his dog food. I avoid feeding him anything with corn, soy or wheat in it (except for Pup-Peroni when nothing else works). He will never have a Lab's enthusiasm for food, no matter what I give him (except for raw steak).

For snacks, I give him a yogurt-filled frozen Kong or a pupsicle once or twice a week.

Now, just in case you haven't experienced it yet, and because it took me by surprise, here are a few food-related warnings:

1. Your puppy's legs will get long, and the puppy will discover he can counter-cruise. I had no idea that a small dog could do that. Aidan can reach anything on tables or the counter, and he is very interested in the stove when I am cooking. Basically, it is like having a toddler, except that he doesn't open cabinet doors or drawers. He will try to get food, cleaning products, rolls of paper products, plastics, anything he can fit in his mouth (which also gets bigger).

Last week, I saw a mouse in the house, and I was trying to get Aidan to stay with me because I am terrified of mice and I figured he would kill it. While I was busy looking for him (my first clue that something was amiss), he was taking apart a computer mouse, which he did successfully kill.

2. If anyone in your house leaves a grocery bag with food in it on the floor (or table or counter), your puppy will eat the contents. One of my teenagers put a bag with steaks in it on the floor, when the kids were bringing in groceries. It took Aidan 5 minutes to eat a one pound steak. Now, anyone with half a brain won't do that, but teenagers don't have much foresight and they have selective hearing (I had foresight and told them not to do that).

3. If you place a 12-can box of soda anywhere the dog can reach it, he will open the box and take out a can, in about a minute. His teeth will puncture the can. He will run around with his prize and decorate his path with soda. This happened last night.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh too funny...I am sure not at the time that it happened. We are not puppy proofed yet...AHHHHHH. I guess we better buy something to go over the stove knobs. They are right in front and easily accessible to a long legged puppy.

I am cautious about giving him new food now because his stool has been running between firm to loose (firm in th AM and loose in the PM). He also had diarrhea'ed twice (7 days apart). Did Aidan have any adverse reactions to your various snacks? I am also thinking of giving him slight blanched carrot.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
No, Aidan has not had any adverse reactions at all. I introduce new food very, very slowly, and watch him like a hawk. With new treats, I give him two pieces, then watch him for 24 hours. The next day, he gets double that amount, and I watch him again. I figure if he is going to have an allergic reaction (itching, diarrhea, vomiting), he will have it within a few days. I take longer to introduce a new canned food. He's acclimated to all the flavors of TOTW dry food, except the fish one, which he doesn't like.

Some foods he won't eat at all: peanut butter, green beans, raw carrots, melons, apples. He will be glad to peel apples, though -- he actually gets only the peel off.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan is one talented dog :)
Yes, he is. Most of his talents are of the destructive variety. My list of things I did not anticipate a puppy doing has diminished a lot, though. Now I realize that if Aidan can think of it, he will do it, and I will not think of it in time to prevent it. Except for jumping through the screen out the window -- I did think of that and prevent it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts