Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one year old China Jack (Chinese Crested / Jack Russell Terrier Hybrid), Chinese Crested being the dominant gene. When she was about 6 months old, she started to run in the house, sometimes to chase one of our cats. At first we didn't act on it because she was small enough that It didn't appear to be a problem. Since then she has doubled her size & weight. Now, when she runs in the house, she runs so hard and in tight circles that I can hear her nails digging into the carpet. We just had brand new carpet put in when she does this, I can see small tufts of carpet that have been pulled up. We take very good care of her so yes, her nails are cut and trimmed on a regular basis. I just believe that she is running so hard this doesn't matter. We also take her outside to play twice a day, in the morning and evening. We live as security on a county day park so we always take her to the large field on the property and she just runs and runs. When she appears to be tired we take her back inside, but even then she will continue to run. Its like she only has one speed. She runs all the time, even just to go from the ouch to her water bowl and back.

I understand she is a dog, and her breed tends to be an active one, I just wish I knew how to teach her that it is not OK to run like she does in the house and only when she is outside. Also is there a way to teach her to not chase the cats? Has anyone had experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated!

Side Notes: She is spayed. I am a huge advocate of rescue animals and spay/neuter, so that was already done when I got her. I have also been put down when asking this question on other sites because apparently I didn't "research the breed before getting her". I did research her breed, but just because she is an energetic breed does not mean that she is not trainable, which is why I am reaching out :) Thanks!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I left another board because of people like that; couldnt ask anything without someone being a jerk :(
I have no idea how to stop a dog from running in the house. My 4 big dogs do it all the time, crashing into walls, knocking over furniture...
As for the cat though, I have 1 indoor and 2 outdoor cats and I put a leash on the puppy and let her see the cats up close. After doing this many times, she's starting to realize that they arent as fascinating as she once thought. She'll ocassionally still chase them, if they run first, but stops if I tell her 'no'.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
She is trainable, but you'll need indirect methods, because she is doing what the breed was meant to do.
1. Chasing cats - If the cat runs, she will chase it. I don't think there's much to do because terriers chase ANYThing that moves. But you might teach her not to chase a stationary cat, the general method is to socialize her with the cats, perhaps by giving her a treat when she sees the cats and doesn't run after them. And, at some distance, you can ask her to sit when she sees a cat, before she is triggered to chase. If the cats have learned to run when they see the dog, then she will run. And, of course as you can see, as the twig is bent, so grows the mighty Sequoia, when it comes to training early.

2. IS there any time and any place where it is OK for her to run in the house. If you could anticipate bad behavior with a Sit, then reward it with a Go Run behavior, that might be a way to manage the problem.

Yes, she is trainable, but you have to anticipate unwanted behavior, substitute it with allowable behavior - such as Sit - then reward with a treat or better, with behavior that she loves, such as running. You might also train her that chasing in one area is not allowed, then allow her to chase the cats in another area.

Don't assume that you can halt her once she is in chase mode - her excitement is too high at that point, therefore you have to anticipate and catch her before she gets worked up....Not specific, but hope it helps....

@Labmom - Even going to another board, you can't escape me ! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts