Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie LOVES lakes, rivers, streams, and mud. But, she HATES bathtime and hoses. How can I make giving her a bath, either inside the tub or outside with a hose more enjoyable for her?

She just looks so scared in the tub :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
My friend used to wipe peanut butter on the tile wall of the shower for the dog to lick while she bathed him. Make it a rewarding experience - lots of treats and short baths at first.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
we also use food. Hot dogs, hot dogs, and more hot dogs! :p And we also talk to them real nice and tell them they are good....they don't seem to really like it, but they don't act up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think a log of dogs become fearful of bath time because of bad experiences with soap, or water that is too hot...

I figure dogs like cold water, So i shower my dog with water that is closer to 85 degrees (as opposed to the 105 i prefer)....

Another is soap in the eyes, If your dog associates stinging pain with the shower, hes gonna hate it. I bought special puppy shampoo that has no-tear formula so if it gets in his eyes its no big deal, just flush em out and it doesn't hurt. I also give him lots of treats and while he's never guna beg for a shower, he doesnt resist, Hes very calm and complacent in there.

Make sure you're down with em, and give em a really good, nice massage while all the soap is on em.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I play "the bath game" with my dogs almost every day. We simply jump in and out of the tub a few times every day. They get treats for jumping in and standing there until I tell them to jump out. I usually have the water running while we do this (but when we first started the water was off). When it is time for an actual bath its really easy because they are so conditioned to getting treats when in the tub. Also, make sure you have a no slip pad of some sort in the tub. I think a lot of dogs are afraid of the tubs because they are slippery.

oh and they do get treats during the bath as well, along with lots of praise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts