Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Separation anxiety effects loads of dogs. When u go in the kitchen to get your or your dogs food close the door behind you. If your dog has a crate make sure it's in a safe secure room away from noises, if your dog starts howling slip into the room with him/her. Don't speak or make eye contact with your dog. Personally I lie down beside the entrance of luigis (my 16 week old whippet puppy) crate and pretend to sleep. Eventually he settles in his crate with a chew toy. Coming in and out of your puppy's crate when they're whining just lets them know that your there. :dance:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Buying a SnugglePup really helped my puppy as well with playing calming dog music (search in youtube and tons come up). Just remember never to reinforce the howling etc. by going to him at any point. After 2 days we had nipped separation anxiety in the bud!
Good luck!

·
Registered
704 Posts
the kind of SA that is dealt with in a few days is not SA at all. real SA is a debilitating mental health complex that can take months to years to heal. a puppy crying in a crate is not separation anxiety. what specifically is the OP referring to?

·
Registered
163 Posts
NicoleIsStoked is right. There are different types of SA.

I'm dealing with a new foster dog right now that has SA. Unsure right now if it's temporary or severe. I have a DAP plug in next to his kennel and he's got a DAP infused collar on order. I also give him a natural calming supplement a half hour before he's to be kenneled. He goes in the kennel with a treat. I make sure to keep him calm prior to kenneling so he doesn't go into the kennel amped up (for example, I don't play with him or allow the dogs to play immediately before kennel time) and I don't make a production of putting him in the kennel. Dogs pick up on your emotions so if it's freaking you out to kennel your dog, then he'll pick up on your anxiety. Stay calm, just put him in the kennel, and leave. Conversely, when I come home, I just let him out. No wild and enthusiastic greetings. Just let him out, like everything is just fine. Nice and calm.

Initially my foster dog ignored all food and treats and only barked and howled when I would leave him. Since installing the DAP plug-in and administering the calming supplements, he's better. He does have interest in his treat, and he's not fighting me so much on going in the kennel. I think that based on his improvement that his SA is temporary or at least manageable. Severe SA is much more difficult to work with and if your dog has that, will take a lot of time and patience on your part to work through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts