Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sweet 15 month old retriever mix. She gets plenty of daily exercise and is a joy to have. However, when I take her to my boyfriend's house (bulldog, pit-mix and cat), she is just crazy! She becomes excitable, playful and doesn't listen to my commands at all. The bulldog is the alpha dog and she'll take his toys just to taunt him. He may not care about the rope/bone but since she has it...he'll then want it. She runs around the house, chasing the cat (whom otherwise wouldn't care about her or the other dogs.) Overall, she is just so excited when we are there. I've tried leaving a leash on her and food commands...even separating the dogs...these work for a few minutes but as soon as I stop focusing on her, she's back to her antics. Her behavior stresses me out and takes away from quality time for all of us. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried really tiring her out before you go over? Maybe a good hour of hard play/running or whatever you decide would get rid of some of that excess energy. Is she crate trained? You could always try crating her at your BF's or confining her with baby gates.

I would only discipline her when she chases the cat. All the rest seems like a normal, socialable, excitable puppy. Maybe even just some fun time with the other dogs outside would help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts! I run with her every day and she gets a great workout with the big dogs there but still when we bring her inside she just wants to be involved with everything. Running around and wanting all the attention. I hope this is just normal puppy behavior and she will become less interested in everything and everyone over there.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Do you go there often? If not, maybe she will settle down a little when it becomes routine.

If that doesn't seem like the problem, maybe it's all the people and animals in one place. Does she spend time with other dogs? Perhaps try to socialize her more, train her to be more calm around animals.

I don't know. I hope you figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts