Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in my 4th year of college and am going to finish soon. I have grown up and trained my own dogs from my house (I grew up out in the country and we had 5 different dogs)

Now that I'm about to finish school I am seriously thinking about becoming a professional trainer and starting my own business. So far I have found some pretty good resources online, but I was wondering if anyone here had any advice for a newbie like me starting out.

I feel like if I can turn my love for dogs into my career I'd be really happy with that. It sure beats sitting in a office!

Thanks Everyone!!!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
You mention 5 dogs while growing up, did you train them, if so, what training. I would indeed advise training or attempt to train a dog or two. Many people love dogs but are not professional trainer material.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
You mention 5 dogs while growing up, did you train them, if so, what training. I would indeed advise training or attempt to train a dog or two. Many people love dogs but are not professional trainer material.
Yep. And I think just as important as your ability to work with dogs, or even more so, is your ability to communicate and work with PEOPLE. I actually think you need to enjoy working with people even more than you do dogs. Because if you just love training dogs and you can't teach the owners, then the owners will not be consistent with your advice and your end result is still an untrained dog. If you can effectively work with people, then even if you can't spend as much time with dogs, you will have taught the owners how to do the majority of the work themselves.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/

That's all I know about. But I would think she (Karen Pryor) would be a great trainer trainer. I think they even TAGTeach Clicker Training.

]Monty[
I've taken a class through KPA, and it was very good. The best way to become a dog trainer is to apprentice under someone really good and get your hands on a LOT of dogs, Shelters tend to be a good place to volunteer In addition to seeing a lot of different types of dogs, and training under unusually difficult situations, you are helping get dogs adopted. And, I think it is important, if going into dog training as a profession that you are able to work with people, The dogs are easy in comparison. Too many people become trainers because they like dogs better than people, and that rarely works, as dogs don't instigate your protocols and don't write checks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts