Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buster just adores people, especially little kids. Kids of any age will due but his favorite are the itty bitty, barely able to walk, stumble over their own feet and catch themselves on his fur toddlers.

My husband and 11 year old headed out to see the latest Harry Potter movie, much needed daddy-daughter time. That left me to come up with something the younger 3 (6 1/2, 5 and 4 in 2 weeks) would enjoy. We decided to take advantage of a beautiful evening, leash the pup and head to a near by playground. The girls got to burn some energy and the pup got some social time. At one point I hear one of the other adults tell a little girl (about 3 years old) that she could "look at the doggie, but dont touch". Buster was just begging to be allowed to greet the girl, whole body wiggle and alternating between sitting and play bowing. So I let the lady know Buster loves kids and that he's just a puppy. That gets the girl permission to pet :D Little girl and not so little puppy are in heaven. The rest of their group comes over and starts petting Buster, commenting on how beautiful he is, how soft his fur is and his size. They were shocked to find out he's only 5 months...Im kinda getting used to that reaction LOL. Just before they had to head back, the little girl leaned over to kiss Buster and *slurp* he licked her...her face light up and her giggles were contagious!

This turned out to be a great socializing trip. While Buster was enjoying the attention several young teens were behind us with bikes and skateboards, things he's shown me hes a little afraid of..he paid no attention to them, focusing instead on the little girl!

Buster is the first puppy I have intentionally set out to socialize...I was young and stupid with previous pups. He continually amazes me with how much he loves people. Size, shape, gender and color dont seem to matter at all to him...other than loving the little ones most of all. Hes incredibly gentle, seems to know his size and weather or not the person he's wanting to approach is afraid.

Before school let out for summer I'd take him with me (weather permitting) to drop off and pick up my 5 year old from preschool. One afternoon when Buster was 12 or 13 weeks old a little boy was entering the building with his mom and just really unsure about Buster. Instead of approaching the child, Buster made the choice to lay down and made no move to touch/sniff the little boy as he walked by. This is not something I taught and he's repeated it since then, no cue, it just appears to be something hard wired into him.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
It's amazing what proper socializing can do for a pup. It really brings out their potential for love and confidence. =)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Fantastic story, thanks for sharing! It feels good to hear about the good things dogs do. I agree with your hard wire comment; it is definitely in his genetics to be a lovable caring sweetheart! You always hear about them being great babysitters from puppyhood. Way to go on the socializing.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's amazing what proper socializing can do for a pup. It really brings out their potential for love and confidence. =)
I agree, it really is amazing. I know I still have a lot of work to do, Buster is still very young, but the progress...just wow! We have some fear issues to overcome, we'll get there! He's my social butterfly, if it moves he wants to meet it...ever seen a puppy this size play bow to a cat? The cats owners found it highly amusing!

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing! It feels good to hear about the good things dogs do. I agree with your hard wire comment; it is definitely in his genetics to be a lovable caring sweetheart! You always hear about them being great babysitters from puppyhood. Way to go on the socializing.
He is a good babysitter. Gentle, loving...
He's been around my girls since he was 9 1/2 weeks old. He's always shown he knows exactly where his paws are, he really doesnt step on the girls..even during play. We had very few issues with him mouthing/nipping the girls...they'd yelp and he'd back off instantly, then he learned what "easy" means and I can now settle him before he gets wound enough to start the crazy puppy nipping.

Buster interacting with my girls at around 10 weeks old, notice the giggling preschooler near his head.

Comforting my almost 11 year old after she got her cast put on...chipped heel, another child stepped on her foot during recess just before school let out for summer.

I couldnt ask for a better puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts