Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

How big will my Lab get? - 1st time Lab owner

17K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  3doglady 
#1 ·
My wife and I are first time Labrador Retriever owners. We have owned dogs in the past; Golden Retriever, Bassett Hound, Beagle, Airedale, & a Lab/English Spaniel Mix.

Milo is 7 months old and currently measures 22" - 22 1/2" at the withers. He weighs in at around 65 pounds. He is not neutered. I do not know the measurements of his parents, but I did see both dogs. His parents were taller "Field Bred" or "American" Labs. We understand that there are a number of factors which determine size.

We have two questions:

Approximately, at what age do Labs stop growing (height)?

Approximately, based on his current age/measurements, how big can we expect Milo be when he is fully grown?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and knowledge!

#2 ·
My Lab was 50 pounds at 6 months old, and she topped out at 60 pounds (and a bit heavy at that). He's probably about done growing, height-wise, but will most likely fill out a bit more in the next year or so. I doubt he'll get to be over 75 pounds. Which is pretty big for a Lab!

#3 ·
I would imagine he would be approximately the size of his parents. Neutering a big dog prior to the closing of the growth plates will make them a bit bigger than they otherwise would have been, so if you don't neuter him before that, he should be the size of his parents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.