Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is my dachshund puppy mixed with? (Pics)

Hi, I recently rescued a dachshund/mix puppy. She is estimated to be 11weeks old today. I saw a photo of her mom who was a full blooded dachshund and weighed about 9 lbs. my puppy is cream colored with black ears and tail. She is smooth haired but her hair is a little longer than most smooth haired dachshunds but she does not look like a long hair dachshund. Her legs are also a little longer than a full bred dachshund, but not by very much. Other than that she looks like a dachshund. Her picture is below, I wondered I anyone would know what she is mixed with and how big you think she will be. She is currently 4 lbs exactly as of last tuesday and she will be 12 weeks old next Thursday. Any ideas? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Re: What is my dachshund puppy mixed with? (Pics)

I was told a good rule of thumb is to double the weight of the puppy at 14 weeks old to estimate their adult weight. I don't know if it works for all breeds, but it seems to work for the small breed dogs we've had for the last 15 years. So given that your puppy is less than 14 weeks, I'm guessing 8-10 pounds as an adult.

The chest and face make me think some sort of bully breed...boxer, pit, but it could be lab too ...what type of breeds are the most popular in your area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: What is my dachshund puppy mixed with? (Pics)

I see a lot of stray terriers, labs, and beagles. But I figured the dad couldn't be too big a dog since the mom is small. The police pulled them from a crate in an abandoned home in the city. So whatever dog would be more frequent in that area I assume.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts