Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer, my sister had a dog who kept coming into her yard and soon after she decided to take it in and care for it. We've figured out that she is mostly of the Shar Pei breed with another unknown breed mixed in. She is unbelievably well-behaved, and I'd like to know if it was because of good training from the previous owners or if it's natural of the breed. My sister hasn't really had to do any training with her at all.

1.) My sister has two young children (Ages 8 and 2) and the dog has never harmed them, even when the younger of the children has been known to tug on her fur or tail from time to time. (He has been told to stop, and is starting to)
2.) For the longest time, she would not set paw on the furniture, or jump over the fence put up for the toddler not to get into the kitchen, until she was told she could do so
3.) We allow her to go outside, without chaining her to a leash and watching her and she has never harmed anyone outside, and if we tell her to stay inside our yard, she'll do just that, and there's no need to have a fence up.
4.) And the other day, I was playing around and rough-housing with her and I've noticed that she kept going back and forth between each of my arms and 'biting' them, but it was more like she just set her teeth lightly on my skin and didn't even bite down hard enough to make marks, let alone break the skin.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I've been doing some reading on Sharpei's as I've considered getting one when Brutus passes. They were bred originally to be fighting dogs and later guard dogs. I'm told they tend to be reserved with strangers and protective of their family.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts