Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have mentioned this elsewhere briefly, but our 5.5 y/o Pyr mix is not doing well and my husband and I are not sure how much or even if he will recover. He has had very severe idiopathic epilepsy since he was less than two years old and just recently appears to have had a stroke. We're not 100% sure yet that's what happened. He could have a brain tumor, which would make the way forward perhaps a bit clearer, or an autoimmune disease, which wouldn't.

I cannot adequately put into words the depths of my sorrow even having to consider this. I have loved all of my dogs but I have always been particularly close with Sebastian. Worse, we feel like we have put so much time and energy to finally get him to a decent place-- he has been seizure-free for about six months-- only to have possibly hit a wall we cannot scale.

There is no need to make this decision tomorrow. We are starting him on BP medicine and doing a course of steroids and giving it two weeks to at least see where he's at. That said, we are well aware we might be at the end. He can barely walk at the moment, so he needs to start some degree of recovery soon if we want him to have a decent quality of life back. We don't want him to suffer but also do not want to cut short time that he could well use to recover. He doesn't seem to be in pain, the vet agrees, but he's confused about why he can't move the way he wants to. We just don't know what to do.

I understand that only we can make this call, but PLEASE someone help. We only just euthanized my childhood dog two months ago and I cannot believe we might have to go through this again with a dog so comparatively young. Even with all of his issues.

I feel like I am breaking apart and like I used up all of my strength for this when Bailey passed and now Sebastian needs it more than ever. Trying to manage him has been so incredibly stressful on us but it is nothing compared to what the stress of losing him so abruptly would be. I'm just mentioning that as a human-side-of-things kind of statement; as horrible as it would be for him to pass at this age, I can only stress again that we are trying to be very mindful of what's realistic and what's an acceptable place for him to be, to us. It's just stress all-around.

I am just completely lost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,384 Posts
loving our pets is self-less,, it's not about us, it's about them and their quality of life. Like you said it's not an emergency decision for you, you are currently trying a treatment plan and giving that plan a chance to work . Am so sorry for the loss of your other pup :( and doing the best that you can for your pup at this time is the best you can do.. Sending good thoughts your way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Patricia. It turns out the call was essentially made for us. We will not have a choice in the not-distant future. He did very well on a steroid course but then backslid as we tapered, so his neurologist suspects he has a tumor or bad lesions that were causing his seizures in the first place. She doesn't think it's worth even doing an MRI based on what she's seeing, and we couldn't afford it anyway. He can be on the steroids for a temporary period, but we are now keeping him comfortable until the end.

Being a pet owner is of course a selfless endeavor and we know in our heart of hearts that we will make the call when it needs to be made. We were just so hoping it wasn't quite time yet, especially so soon after the loss of Bailey. Sebastian has been a challenge from the start and we will manage this one last challenge as we have his whole life, but I never suspected we would lose him so relatively young and the same year as my childhood dog. Just heartbroken.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top