Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are 1st time dog owners. We have a 10 week old pure breed Yorkie. He constantly pee's through out the house, never goes back to his pee pad what so ever. And if he goes #1 on the pad he will never go #2 on it. I'm having a hell of a time! Some plese give me some tips and suggestions. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
When they are that young they need to be let out alot to go. I would take them outside every hour for now. That should help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The rule with puppies is that during the day they should be taken outside to potty at LEAST however many hours they are old in months. At 10 weeks of age, your puppy is only 2 1/2 months old, so at the bare minimum he should be taken outside every 2-3 hours during the day to potty. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/Housebreaking-10-week-old.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rule with puppies is that during the day they should be taken outside to potty at LEAST however many hours they are old in months. At 10 weeks of age, your puppy is only 2 1/2 months old, so at the bare minimum he should be taken outside every 2-3 hours during the day to potty. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/Housebreaking-10-week-old.htm
So for the most party I'm okay? I don't have anything to worry about, and things will get better?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The main thing you seem to be doing wrong is lack of supervision. At this age puppy should never be unsupervised even for an instant. When you can't watch him 110% of the time he should be confined, preferably in a properly sized crate.

Also, you need to take him to his pee pads if you're choosing to have him toilet in your house or take him outside on a schedule if that's what you choose to do. Don't expect him, especially at this young age, to tell you he needs to go or go to the pads himself. Just like a human baby he has no idea when he needs to go and does not yet have the muscle control to hold it when he does need to. Do you have everything on a strict schedule? Are you keeping a journal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main thing you seem to be doing wrong is lack of supervision. At this age puppy should never be unsupervised even for an instant. When you can't watch him 110% of the time he should be confined, preferably in a properly sized crate.

Also, you need to take him to his pee pads if you're choosing to have him toilet in your house or take him outside on a schedule if that's what you choose to do. Don't expect him, especially at this young age, to tell you he needs to go or go to the pads himself. Just like a human baby he has no idea when he needs to go and does not yet have the muscle control to hold it when he does need to. Do you have everything on a strict schedule? Are you keeping a journal?
So when the wife and I leave work, where should we keep him? In a fenced off area? BTW he chews on his pads, by the time we come home its a mess of a mixer of #1' and #2's.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Are you praising him when he uses the pads or goes outside? That's an important step of the process that helps him learn what you want him to do. Also, clean up any messes and use an enzyme cleaner afterward so he is not tempted to return to that spot to toilet.

When you're away, leave him in one room or area of the room that you can block off with a door or gate. To keep the pads from being torn, my friend uses this: http://www.ugodog.net/ with the pad inside the tray for easy cleaning. I just use the pads and they seem to be OK.

When you're home, take him to the pads every hour so he begins to learn what they are for. You do have to teach him--he won't learn on his own.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
with my little one i took her out once every hour i took her out before i fed her and after i fed her. i have metal doors so before i would take her out i would take her paw and scratch the door with it. so now when ever she needs to go out side she lets me know by scratching the door. they now have doggy door bells that you put on the floor and they learn to push it when they want to go out. at night i would take her out before we went to sleep and then once around three o'clock. now she holds it until the morning.
when you leave put her in a closed area, i just bought a kiddy fence and placed her in the laundry room with lots of toys. most dogs won't pee where they sleep. so if she had a small area to stay in while i was at work she just didn't go potty.
good luck it takes some time but it is worth it in the end.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
So when the wife and I leave work, where should we keep him? In a fenced off area? BTW he chews on his pads, by the time we come home its a mess of a mixer of #1' and #2's.

You could fence off an area or do what I do when I have a puppy, which is put the dog's crate inside an ex-pen with the crate door open and set up the whole thing in an easily cleaned area such as the kitchen. I spread newspapers over the area (didn't have pee pads last time) but you could put pee pads down in the trays made for them if your dog tears them up, which is not surprising especially considering that he's a terrier. When you get home take the dog out (if you want to train him to go outside), take down the set up (if you use the ex-pen method), and clean up thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. Working and being unable to take puppy out to do his business will delay housebreaking to some extent but most of us have no choice but to work outside the home. The main things are to be consistent and patient.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
An unhousebroken pup should not have free reign of the house. He should be crated and let out frequently to potty, and never allowed free roam without supervision. Leash him to you inside if you have to. =)

When he potties outside praise him like it's a big party and give him a tasty treat. Consistancy and control will help things work out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts