Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Housetraining survey

5K views 37 replies 34 participants last post by  Anabelle91 
#1 ·
I realise there are a lot of threads on this subject but thought I'd put a slightly different spin on it.

With the different methods for housetraining which worked best and which breed performed best.

So 3 questions -

1) Breed of dog
2) which method (Crate, Paper, constant supervision)
3) How long before housetrained (accepting little mistakes)

There will be a prize for the quickest student ( no there won't:wink: )

Obviously this is not very scientific nor is it supposed to be. Thankyou

#27 ·
Sam is a Westie.
I used constant supervision mostly for the first 3 weeks and I also crate train.
He was what I consider "fully potty trained" at 11 weeks. I got him at 8. I mean no accidents for a full week by 12 weeks. And by 13 he scratched the door to tell me he needed to go out. He even started that earlier but I was in a different house so it was harder to tell.

He has been a complete ANGEL with potty training. He has never once pottied in his crate and even when he was a baby he had minimal accidents. I attribute it to my "puppy maternity leave"-I was home for xmas break from school and got him 2 days into it-so I had the entire break to train him before having to leave him for 3-4 hours during the day for class. He's the easiest pup I've EVER potty trained!

#28 ·
I raised two from young puppies.

Method? Preventing going inside, ever, with supervison and crate time when we couldn't - but never longer than they could hold it easily- and tons of outside trips.

Kylie has zero mistakes from the time she came home at four weeks And by four months was reliable to hold it and ask.

Thud had 'intestinal issues' and has some accidents early on, but was also trying to get out the door and reliably alerted by four months. He couldn't really hold it until about six though. At least not more than a minute or two.

#29 ·
Oh and thud is a Gsd mix of some sort and Kylie is, um. A little mutt.

#30 ·
Gem is the only one I remember so I will do her lol(I have 2 dogs that came after her but they were not little puppies and already housebroken)

1) Breed of dog- ACD x GSD
2) which method (Crate, Paper, constant supervision)- constant supervision, and frequent outings outside(like every 30 minutes), when I wasn't home and couldn't have her with me I left her at my work(doggy daycare). confining was not an option as she was scared to death of closed in spaces
3) How long before house trained (accepting little mistakes)- honestly? she never had any accidents, and she just copied my other dogs for knowing how to tell me she needed out lol

#31 ·
Our latest is a JRT mix, 7.5 lbs almost fully grown.
She came to us at 4 weeks old and had been using papers at her former home. So we started with papers and slowly eliminated them in favor of crate training and supervision. At the same time we (and the vet) figured out that her frequent need to go out was due to struvite crystals and a UTI. So while we worked through that there were quite a few accidents in the house. The urinary issue straightened out when she was about 4-5 months old and we got more insistant about training. She has been reliable through the night since about 4 months old but is one of the few dogs I've owned that does not alert that she needs to go out. If you miss the circling and sniffing in her favorite corners because you are changing the laundry loads or answering the phone, and it's been a while since she's been out...you will have a puddle to clean up. Since we have other dogs n the house there is a pretty routine schedule for letting all of the dogs out. So at 8 months old now she is reliable as long as we keep track of the schedule.

#32 ·
Ronin is a Dogo Argentino, we got him when he was 9 weeks old and constantly supervised and crated at night and when we couldn't supervise him. He is four months old now and is doing great but we still take him out about every hour. He's also not left in his crate for more then three hours at a time during the day.

#33 ·
Our first cairn terrier came home at 12 weeks and was totally housetrained using paper / treats by 13 weeks. There was the odd accident as a result of an upset tummy although even then he tried his best to get outdoors, and then one or two senior moments when he was 15.
The current one also arrived at 12 weeks but had been litter trained by the breeder - absolutely the worst thing ever as it meant anything that looked like a litter tray (boot tray, etc.) was an option, so we used crate / supervision and bells and it took until he was 4-5 months old, and the removal of anything remotely tray-like, before we trusted him.

#34 ·
1) Breed of dog - German Shepherd/Husky mix
2) which method - Crate training mixed with constant supervision. No punishment, just right outside while/after doing it. Had him in the crate and every few hours I took him out for a wee. No wee, back in the crate. Wee? Walk, and then out of the crate for a few hours.
3) How long before housetrained - 3 days. He peed in the house twice, and pooed in my Mom's house once, then never again. He doesn't even use his crate anymore.

#35 ·
1) Border collie mix, brought home at 8 weeks
2) We trashed the pads after two days and did constant supervision/crate training. We took her out every two hours through the night and more often during the day and gradually increased the time increments until she could hold it all night.
3) 90% by three months; 95% by six months; 99% by nine months

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.