Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise there are a lot of threads on this subject but thought I'd put a slightly different spin on it.

With the different methods for housetraining which worked best and which breed performed best.

So 3 questions -

1) Breed of dog
2) which method (Crate, Paper, constant supervision)
3) How long before housetrained (accepting little mistakes)

There will be a prize for the quickest student ( no there won't:wink: )

Obviously this is not very scientific nor is it supposed to be. Thankyou

·
Registered
340 Posts
Coda's a GSD mix, we got her at 9 weeks old and just constantly supervised her and took frequent trips outside. She only ever had three accidents, all of which were our fault. She started learning to go to the door at around 11 weeks old, so I guess that's when I would consider her housebroken.

She was born and raised outdoors for the first 9 weeks of her life, and from what vets and Google searches told me that contributes a lot to the fact that she was pretty much housebroken when she came to us.

·
Registered
435 Posts
We have a lab/terrier.

We do a combination of all really. He is still in the crate when we are gone for extended periods of time and he is almost 100% supervised when he is out. He's 7 months old now. He is potty trained but wouldn't say house broken because I think he would get into things if he was bored and alone.

He uses the "bell" to go out (which he abuses for sure!)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Dachshund mix

He was either supervised or confined.

He was housebroken (no more accidents, asking to go out if he needed to every time) around 5 1/2 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some great training results and thanks for posting, supervision seems to be important which makes sense. I'm sure rewards played a part also.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
1. male Welsh Springer Spaniel

2. Constant supervision, plus crate when we weren't home, at night, or when we couldn't supervise

3. Hmm ... he wasn't having accidents after 12 weeks (and only had a few before then) but I think it's more because we took him out frequently enough vs actually being potty trained. He was probably really potty trained around 5 months. He was never a puppy to go outside, and then come right back in and pee - he only peed on the floor when we were late in taking him out. Right before every accident I remember thinking "It's been an hour, I should probably take the puppy out, but I just need 30sec to finish this thing first" and then he peed. lol

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My dog is a mixed breed. Likely ACD, Pug, Terrier, mystery mix.

I mostly used constant supervision, with crating overnight, and restriction to the kitchen while I was out.

As a puppy, she spent a lot of time at two different houses - 1. my parents' house, while I was at work, with access to a doggie door & 2. my house without doggie-door access. I'd say she was using the doggie door consistently by about 5 months old. But, at my house it was closer to 6 months that she stopped having accidents in the house, including one horrible weekend when she peed in the house 7 times! But after that weekend, she's only had one accident in the house, which was due to an upset stomach and wasn't her fault.

·
Registered
614 Posts
1.) Std Schnauzer/poodle mix, male

2.) Like most people have answered, he is crated when we're away and supervised when we're home. Lots of trips outside immediately at the sign of sniffing. He started barking at the back door to be let out at 10 weeks.

3.) We stopped crating him at night at 4 months and he's been doing great! He still sleeps in his crate through most of the night, but that's his choice since the door is open and he alternates between the crate and his dog bed. He's still crated during the day when we're out, mostly because I don't trust him not to get into things while we're out. He hasn't had an accident in our house since 10 weeks old, but would have accidents at friends and family houses on their carpet (we have all hardwoods so he wasn't making the generalization not to go inside at all on any surface). We watched him enough to always catch him in the act and bring him outside so he learned pretty quickly. He hasn't had any accidents anywhere since 4 months, and he's now 5 months. (I probably just jinxed myself!)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
1. Aussie, male
2. Crate, supervision, and leash
3. Two accidents when we weren't paying him enough attention. Those were both before four months old. At 6 months he was completely reliable

1. Rat Terrier, male, acquired at age 1
2. Crate, was a kennel dog at a breeder's
3. Five-ish accidents. With supervision he has been fantastic. He doesn't outty inside anymore unless he has a bad tummy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
1) wheaten terrier, female
2) constant supervision and crated when we weren't home or couldn't supervise
3) She was reliably potty trained (aside from a UTI and bout of struvite crystals that caused some pee accidents in the house) by around 4.5 or 5 months.

1) wheaten terrier, male
2) we got him as an adult, and although he understood the idea of being housetrained, I think a shelter environment for a couple of months set him back. we didn't crate or constantly supervise him. He had free reign of the house with Alannah. we just had to get him on a very strict eating and pottying schedule, and now he no longer has any accidents.
3) This took about 3 weeks

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
1) Breed of dog Boston Bulldog, came to us at 11 weeks old
2) which method (Crate, Paper, constant supervision) Supervision/Leash - The crate is used for when we are not home or at bedtime, but not because we were worried about accidents, we just don't want him to get bored in the night and chew or chase the cats
3) How long before housetrained (accepting little mistakes) House trained at 14-15 weeks old, with the occasional accident while waiting for the elevator to go potty. Accident-free by 5-6 months.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Aussie, male.

Constant supervision, crate when unable to supervise.

Was able to be left out of kennel at night, or without supervision around 5 months old. Up until then he didn't have accidents but if you didn't take him out he would go in house and did not ask to be let out.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
1)breed of dog GSD's, Cane Corso, Caucasian , and many mixes all ages
2) which method Crate, constant supervision, Long term schedule, potty on lead first only outside no play time on potty time and straight back in the house. play times outside completely separate event
3) How long before house trained.. 30 days they proactive with the schedule, but never stop the schedule it's the way we live in real life anyway, do start to lax up on crating and constant supervision

I see more accidents in my extended seniors like pooping in their sleep type of occurrences in life then the pups or younger dogs that are learning.

·
Registered
330 Posts
1. Jax is a dachshund
2. Did a little pad training when he was very young till he was about 12-15 weeks. Then it was constant supervision and crate.
3. He was about 10-11 months till fully house broke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some very good results with the supervision/crate method, thanks for posting.

As for myself

1) Tibetan Terrier (3 weeks old and still at the breeders)

2) We'll try Crate method with lots of supervision.

3) If we can achieve 12 weeks I'll be overjoyed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
With our current pup

Mix (we think aussie/cocker)
constant supervision
housetrained by 4 months... she may have been sooner but she had a uti which took two meds to get rid of. Once that was gone it was a breeze!

·
Registered
409 Posts
1) Labradoodle (75% poodle, 25% Lab)

2) Constant Supervision (if not then in his crate/exercise pen) => only trained to go outside from the day we got him at 8 weeks

3) We got him at 8 weeks...by 12-13 weeks he had only 1 accident that was actually his fault. All others were ours. At 17 weeks now, I'm confident in him although I'm still watching for any slip-ups (which there haven't been in 4 weeks)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
1. GSD, male

2. Crate at night, watched during the day

3. At about 4 months, he had the general idea down, but he had accidents on and off until 6 months old.

1. APBT mix, female

2. Crate at night, watched during the day

3. She had the idea and was pretty reliable at about 5-6 months old but she has medical issues that make it difficult for her to hold her bladder, so she has an accident on occasion. Usually because she doesn't know she needs to go until she's about to burst.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1) Aussie Terrier, came home to me at 8 weeks
2) Constant supervision and/or crating
3) I still don't consider him housetrained at 10 mos, but he will ask to go out and *can* hold it just fine. His rebellious teenager self comes out about once a week. He will look straight at me and squat. I then have a split-second window of opportunity to jump up calling out "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah!" and he will unsquat, not a drop comes out, and I can take him outside. If I do not react within that split-second window of opportunity, he will just go. Basically, while I don't believe he does it to get to me, I think his message to me is something like, "I'm perfectly happy peeing right here, Mom, if you don't feel like getting your ass up off the couch..." :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Colby:
1) Border Collie, brought her home at 8wks
2) Crate/Constant Supervision
3) We didn't consider her house trained until she had gone accident free for 2 months straight and was at least 6 months old. I think it was around the 6-month mark.

Ace:
1) Border Collie, brought him home at 7wks
2) He was paper trained by the breeder. We supervised/crate trained. We never kept up with paper training because I don't really like the method of giving your dog a place to potty in your house. Disclaimer: When they were puppies, my dogs were never alone for long.
3) Literally, the first day we brought him home he walked over to the door and cried. Moving forward, he would glance at the door, rather than bark/whine but we always took him out immediately. I think he might have had 3 accident in the house for the first 6 months. And it would always be right next to the door (on the tile) and our fault for not taking him out quickly enough. To this day he just glances at the door or noses the leash when he has to go out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.