Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a JRT puppy about 2 months ago. She was not housetrained, and I'm still having problems (she's 7 months old). I made the mistake of too much freedom too soon, so she has had accidents in other parts of the house when I didn't supervise her closely enough - therefore I've had very few chances to catch her in the act.. She sleeps in her crate at night, and I've been keeping her in one room (with a tall baby gate) during the day. She doesn't give any indication that she needs to go out. For the most part she's on a regular schedule - even on the weekends, I'm up for the 6:00 walk.

I am wondering if the crate training/room situation was too confusing and if I should just keep her in the crate during the day when I'm at work. My husband can get home most days to let her out during the day.

Any advice? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
How does she do in the room you're leaving her in during the day? Does she have accidents in the room?

Have you cleaned the areas where she had accidents with an enzymatic cleaner? Regular household cleaners don't do a very good job. They may clean it enough so that we can't SEE it, and so that we humans can't smell it, but a dog's nose is thousands of times stronger than ours, so the puppy will still be able to smell it and will be attracted to the same spot again. Enzymatic cleaners actually break down the stain and remove it completely, if done right. (Although there's usually a disclaimer on the bottle about how it might not work if you've tried a normal cleaner first, because that sets the stain).

So, are you wondering if she's confused because she sleeps in the crate at night, but stays in the room during the day? I don't think that's an issue. Lots of people crate their dogs at night, but have different arrangements during the day.

I think what your puppy needs is a bit of a review on potty training. Supervise her when you are home with her, and don't give her any freedom. Keep taking her out on a schedule. Treat her as if she was a very young puppy.

I don't think it matters where you confine her during the day. When our puppies were very young, we'd crate them when we worked. As they grew, we transitioned to an ex-pen in the corner of the kitchen. Then, we did away with the pen, and just used a baby gate to block off the kitchen. Now, they're free to roam.....

The only thing a crate might do better is encourage her to hold it, because dogs don't usually want to pee where they sleep. If she was to pee in the crate, it would be icky, so she may try to hold it longer. If she has a whole room to herself, she can pee somewhere in the room, and still have plenty of room to move away from it and not be inconvenienced by an icky, wet mess.
However, this is just a general rule. There are plenty of dogs, especially shelter dogs, who get used to peeing anywhere and everywhere, so peeing in the crate doesn't bother them....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! She will go in the room during he day, either on the wee wee pad, the floor, or both. The accidents around the house I totally blame myself for - had I been watching more closely, I'd have caught it.

I do use cleaners with enzymes. :)

I am considering taking the same path you did - crate during the day, then more and more freedom until she has run of the house. I really appreciate the advice, thank you! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts