Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Australian Shepherd puppy who will be 4 months old on 4/30 still won't do his business outside in rainy weather, especially his pooping.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to overcome this problem? Whether it's a sprinkle or a downpour, this puppy just doesn't or can't get his act together for doing his pooping outside.

Otherwise, he almost never poops in the house now and seldom pees.

He is a smart little critter and coming along well with his training in general and learning not to mouth, nip or bite, but I don't have any control over this pooping in the rain issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
well when I was training Hawk I would stand outside with him for a long time if I thought he had to poop. then if he just wouldn't I would let him in but keep him on a leash and if he made the potty dance then I would say "AGH!" and put him outside again and wait again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to keep him on a leash if he doesn't do his business. I knew he had to poop when I took him out, but he started playing with his leash, so he could go back inside.

I have him in his crate right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My puppy is the same way...when i know hes got to go, i keep him in the same room with me try to get him VERY excited cause that seems to make him really want to go, then shuffle him outside once the sniffing begins and try to keep him in the area under the tree...it works, but it took a while...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy, I spoke too soon on the other thread!! We had rain last night and today and it was like Val completely forgot his housebreaking......he's in his crate now, thinking about it!!!:(

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awww :( I'm sorry! Hopefully Val will start liking the rain soon

I was worried about the rain with Ty. But he does pretty good with it *knock on wood*. Its been raining for three days now and I only had a problem the first day of the rain. Now he'd go for walks in it if I'd let him.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, let's hope Val gets over this. For now, he has to stay in the kitchen, so that if he has an accident, it will be on tile floor.

I'm going to try to have him go over to a part of the yard where there is an overhang, where he won't get so wet.....maybe as he gets older, he will figure it out.

It's sad to see a dog so unhappy with the rain!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My collie HATES the rain too. It doesn't help that we're surrounded by mud for now so we can't take him out in the rain too much yet without a full bath - so his rain time is limited. But he obviously does need to go out regardless to do his business.

What we do is take him out - if he doesn't go within 5 minutes or so, we come back in and he goes in the crate. Ten minutes later, we take him back out. Same thing - if he doesn't go, he goes in the crate when he comes back inside. Eventually he goes outside and then he gets to play with us in the house.

He's learned, through this, that he will eventually have to go in the rain so he's getting pretty good about getting it done the first time around so he doesn't miss out on play time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts