Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through the housetraining threads, but haven't found one that quite fits my situation... feel free to redirect me to another place that might be helpful!

I adopted an 8-year-old Beagle/Basset Hound mix almost 3 weeks ago. Her foster mom said she was housebroken, but I know that sometimes new environments can throw off dogs' training, so I'm not focusing on that too much. She had a lot of accidents when I first got her - mostly when I would leave the house, but sometimes when I was at home. Introducing a stricter schedule + The Crate has helped a bit with it. The schedule: I crate her when I am at work (9AM-1PM, 2PM-5PM) and when I am (infrequently) out of the house. I stopped crating her at night for about a week, but after several nights of success, she peed on my rug in the morning two days ago, so I've restarted crating her at night.

Luckily, she's doing much better "going" outside than when I first got her. But, the issue I'm having currently is that she's started peeing (never pooping) in her crate, and has gone twice on the rug in the past week (in almost the same spot). I always clean up with Nature's Miracle and then vinegar (which is also how I wash her blankets), but alas, it does not deter her. Her crate is a 36", which is the size her foster mom was using. Admittedly, it is a little big for her. But, the 30" (next size down) would be way too small. I've tried putting the divider in as well to make it about 33", with no luck on the pee front.

Part of the problem is when she's outside: She is SO DISTRACTED! Her nose is to the ground the second we are outside. I've tried giving her treats to reward her when she eliminates outside, praising her, creating positive associations etc., but she wants nothing to do with even the tastiest of treats - just wants to sniff. And sometimes, I think she's too distracted to pee. More than once, she's not peed outside, come inside, and peed 5 minutes later. I tried the 5 minutes in, 5 minutes out (and 15 minutes in, 5 minutes out) method, but it feels like that just makes her more excited to go outside and distracted.

Any tips? How to get a distracted dog to pee? How to prevent peeing in the crate? Do I just wait it out? Going into the vet soon to rule out any UTI-type stuff, but her peeing doesn't seem frequent enough for that...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't think 3 weeks is a very long time given that she is now in a new environment. It also seems to me like she is in the crate for too many hours during the day. Do you have anyone that could let her out more often while you are at work? If not maybe put her in the laundry room or somewhere that she isn't so confined. If she is in a crate so much, I can understand why she would be very distracted when she is let out. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think 3 weeks is a very long time given that she is now in a new environment. It also seems to me like she is in the crate for too many hours during the day. Do you have anyone that could let her out more often while you are at work? If not maybe put her in the laundry room or somewhere that she isn't so confined. If she is in a crate so much, I can understand why she would be very distracted when she is let out. Good luck.
Hi NadiaK, thanks for the reply. I agree that 3 weeks is not long, so maybe I shouldn't worry too much. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to come let her out, and don't have a laundry room. Part of the increase in crate accidents I think may also have to do with the fact that she's found other comfy areas of the living room, and is maybe starting to stop thinking of the crate as her "home". So, she potties in there. But that's just a theory. That, or the crate is stressing her out. :-(

I'm not sure being in the crate for 3-4 hour periods during the day affects her being distracted so much... she is just as distracted when she is out of the crate all day. But, she potties pretty consistently when I let her out (though never in the spot I want her to... but I take what I can get!), so I think I will just continue with that.

I am thinking I will buy one of those pens for her to section off part of the living room, and save the crate for travelling. That way, she won't be confined SO much, but she won't have run of the whole house and it will be easier to clean up accidents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone, in case anyone is reading this and curious, sticking with the crate worked for us. I think it was, as you'd expect, a matter of her getting adjusted to the new environment and schedule. A week or two after my original post, she just stopped peeing in the crate. I started leaving her out at night again, and with success, took the gamble one day to leave her free in the house. She had one accident in the first week, but none since then. I've since folded up the crate and introduced a comfy bed, that she loves more than anything. I even took her to see my family for two weeks, came back, and she got right back on schedule. She now has almost full run of the house. All it took was patience and a lot of Nature's Miracle!

So, if you have an adult dog that's proving hard to re-housetrain, just stay stay consistent and kind! They deserve your patience.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Great update! So glad that you got over the hump and thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts