Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a puppy 3 week back and now hes almost 11weeks ago. I began housetraining him but its difficult. He seems to do fine in his crate and holding it in for about 6 hours (he has yet to pee in his crate, at least from what I can tell).

What my issue is, I originally trained him the first week and half to pee on Wee-wee pads (training pads). He has no problem peeing outside, but everytime I leave him alone for a little bit, he goes either to poop or pee on a carpet or the pad. How do I go about dealing with this?

I am afraid that when he grows up he will still think carpets are peeable or poopable on. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yes, you can prevent it by house training him. Go to the first time owner or training section, we have a sticky on house training.

Remember, dogs under 6 months don't have the nervous system development to reliably tell when they have to pee or poop, so up until that point, house training is all on you. Overall, house training just takes patience and persistence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple of articles that might be helpful for house training: Housetraining (Housebreaking) Your Dog or Puppy and Housetraining / Housebreaking Your Dog Using a Bell

Also, you might want to try using something like the Pup-Head instead if you are worried about your puppy getting used to peeing on softer surfaces, but I don't think it will be an issue once he is older.
thanks for the articles.
However, I think the issue is opposite of what you are suggesting. Duke currently has no problems peeing or pooping outside. It's just that he will also do so inside on a rug whenever he gets the chance to. He seems to be more cautious about doing it on hardwood floors but on the rugs int he house he just goes as if it were grass

1 - 3 of 3 Posts