Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !!
I pretty much have my hands full with three of my most adorable companions (Husky and two Persians) I would like to housetrain my Husky to be more responsive and attentive, right now he is 2 years and 5 months old... i have a couple of questions that i would like to ask.

1. Is this age okay for a Husky to train? Is it too early or too late ?
2. I have 2 Persians with him, he is very playful with them and treats them like his own babies, they literally sleep on top of each other :redface:
3. Also they have never had a collar on them before, i almost never let them out unsupervised, i am planning on getting collars and ID tags for them (all 3 of them). This is the website that i am considering www.mypetdmv.com
4. Will this accessory be okay ? or will they chew it off or something, i am confused, it looks good and i want to buy it but i am afraid that they will chew it off if it is handing too low.

TLDR; Love my 3 pets, want to train the Husky to guard me and my kitties. Looking for a nice matching pair of pet ID cards.

Thank you for your time fellas, please let me know what you think.
Alex.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
1: Huskies are very intelligent dogs but can be hard to motivate. There's nothing wrong with training a 2 year old dogs. If nothing else, his attention span should be better now that he is older. Just find what rewards work best for him.
2: Lucky, because most huskies have a strong prey drive that put cats in danger. I wouldn't trust them together unsupervised though they seem to get along.
3&4: I wouldn't suggest a big card hanging down. Get a well fitted collar and a small tag or a slip-on tag that had his name, your name, your phone number and maybe a backup number, I also suggest getting him chipped. Huskies are known to escape and roam (mine could jump a 6 foot fence, she could climb it) they dig and tear and once they're out, they're gone.

As far as guarding, I wouldn't count on it. Huskies are probably one of the worst breeds in the world for guarding. They're just bred to be friendly, working dogs.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Those IDs are cute but much too large. I can put my address, pet name and 2 phone numbers on a 7/8" circular tag, that's plenty of info.

Cats need collars that can release in an emergency. There are ones with special clips or elastic. There are quick release collars made for dogs that double as walking collars if you plan to train your dog to walk on leash.

Getting them microchipped is another good option. All the vets and shelters here have chip readers so if your pet gets out and the finder takes them to vet/shelter the chip would be read and they can get in contact with you. If your area requires pet registration get that done as well.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yes, cats need a breakaway collar, and very small tags (I like Boomerang CollarTags). Cats also lose collars like crazy, so you may want to microchip your pets too, so they'll have permanent ID. The dog will need something sturdier if you're going to attach a leash to it, but there are breakaway collars and small decorative tag holders for dogs too, if he's going to wear it when unattended and you won't be attaching a leash.

You can train a dog at any age, but some things (like guarding or sheepherding) are more instinctual, not trained behaviors. It's not likely you can train a Husky to guard. They were bred for sled pulling not guarding :D. Find a good book on positive reinforcement dog training, and see what kind of cool tricks your dog can learn!

Also, "housetraining" usually refers to teaching a pet to go potty outside, not to regular training. Just to avoid confusion :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS !!
Wow, you guys know a lot, i was not expecting such well structured responses and answers from this website, i will refer this portal to my friends. Thanks a lot for helping me out, i am still considering the mypetdmv.com website to get ID tags for my pets (just found out that they are offering 1 big and 2 small sizes at a cost of 19.99) just because of the design and they look just like actual human driver's license...
I will start the training for my Huskey as soon as possible.

Once again thank you for your time fellas!
G'day !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts