Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three days ago I got a 1 1/2 year old miniature schnauzer, Gatsby. Most of the time, he's a great dog. A little barky, but super friendly and playful and just a joy to have around the house.

The problem comes when letting him out of his crate. We crate him at night and while me and my roommate are at work. He doesn't object when going in beyond a little growling (which has been curtailed with the use of a treat dispensing ball), but when we go home or let him out in the morning, he gets so excited he just pees right there, in the crate and on the floor. We haven't had any poop accidents in the house. The longest he's alone is six hours but four is more typical. It's not a matter of not being able to hold it that long, because he is just fine during the day and night when no one is home. He was even free in the house for three hours this afternoon with no accidents. Until I came home that is. It's so frustrating because if he would just wait the twenty seconds it takes to put his leash on and get to the door, he'd be just the best dog!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I would suggest teaching him that you coming and going and letting him out of his crate isn't a big deal. Srart by putting him in their for a few minutes, taking him out, and ignoring him for a few minutes, like 5. Then giving him a pat or two. Work up the time, you can leave the room for a few minutes, come back, let him out, etc...Usually excited urination, along with submissive urination corrects itself with a few simple tricks, like ignoring for a few minutes and training.

If he's still messing a ton during these exercises, you can take the crate outside and do training out there, or set like potty pads or something in front of the kennel until he learns.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Sounds like submissive urination. Your dog is so excited to see you that he literally can't hold it to make it to the door. I would try putting the crate closer to the outside door and perhaps even picking up your dog out of the crate to carry him outside immediately. Most dogs grow out of the behavior.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Does he start getting fired up while he's still inside his crate? If so, try leaving him in there until he's totally calmed down. If necessary, sit in the room where he can see you and wait for it. Once he's fully relaxed, then open the door and let him out. No praise, no nothing. Just calmly open the door, hook him up, take him out. Once he pees outside, have a party!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
When you return home, be very low key, and just go about your business for a few minutes before opening the crate to let him out.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gatsby update!

After the first week, he's been MUCH better about the excitement peeing! Getting him out of the crate for his midday pee is still a bit of a struggle, but he's left free in the house until I get home in the afternoon (mostly because he won't kennel for my roommate who lets him out). I think it's been a combination of us being calmer around him when we get home, him settling in to our apartment, and less crate time so he doesn't get so bored.

And I just have to say, I am amazed at the bladder control this dog has! It was a little while before I figured out his cues that he needs to go but there were never "can't hold it" accidents!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sounds like submissive urination. Your dog is so excited to see you that he literally can't hold it to make it to the door. I would try putting the crate closer to the outside door and perhaps even picking up your dog out of the crate to carry him outside immediately. Most dogs grow out of the behavior.
Yes .. It is submissive peeing, what I'd do is treat this new baby like any ol' new puppy! For now on, do the potty training routine once you come home get that dog outside so he can empty his bladder, then you can greet him :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts