Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desperation has brought me to this forum, I've read all and done all I can to solve this problem but to no avail.

My 3 year old Basenji, although housebroken, pees anywhere and everywhere in the house when he's unattended. Rarely, if ever, do I or my family members catch him in the act, but it happens at least 1 to 2 times per day. This has been going on for about a year and I'm not sure I can put up with it anymore. I love this dog to death, he's a wonderful dog, but his habits are unsanitary and are making my house smell less than desirable (something I can't tolerate).

I'm not sure as to why he's doing this, I don't know if he's marking, if he's insecure, if he has separation anxiety, or whatever else. I'm beginning to think that maybe he feels submissive to my female lab and finds it necessary to mark throughout the house? When they both go outside, wherever she pees he quickly covers it with his own. In the house it's just him though.

I know he knows he's not allowed to do it. He'll never do it when anyone is watching, and he'll run away when we call him over after we've found it, so not knowing it's forbidden in not the issue. He wears belly bands indoors daily and pees in those at least once a day.

Any suggestions or insight are much appreciated, I CANNOT bring myself to get rid of him.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm so sorry in advance for all the question I'm going to ask, but it'll help try to pinpoint possible reasons why your Basenji is peeing in the house. Have you had him checked for urinary tract infections, or anything like that? And is he neutered? If he isn't, getting neutered might help with the marking. Is your female lab spayed? When other dogs are intact, it can trigger certain behaviors. Is he generally a nervous, low self-esteem dog? What is his nature? Does your lab do anything to him, how is their relationship? How often is he taken out for potty, and taken out for walks? What kind of cleaner do you use when he does have an accident?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm so sorry in advance for all the question I'm going to ask, but it'll help try to pinpoint possible reasons why your Basenji is peeing in the house. Have you had him checked for urinary tract infections, or anything like that? And is he neutered? If he isn't, getting neutered might help with the marking. Is your female lab spayed? When other dogs are intact, it can trigger certain behaviors. Is he generally a nervous, low self-esteem dog? What is his nature? Does your lab do anything to him, how is their relationship? How often is he taken out for potty, and taken out for walks? What kind of cleaner do you use when he does have an accident?
I was thinking the same exact thing. My 4yr old Pug was exhibiting the same behavior you described that went on for months. I finally took her to the vet after a few days of it happening and found out she had a urinary tract infection. Problem went away & came back. Took her back to the vet and found out she had a kidney stone the size of a quarter inside her. She wasnt able to hold in urine as a result of this. She would also never do it in front of us because she knows shes not suppose to. I suggest you get your Basenji to a vet ASAP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts